[comp.archives] [next] Re: Needed: Lisp on NeXT for January AI course

srt@aerospace.aero.org (Scott "TCB" Turner) (01/02/91)

Archive-name: languages/lisp/akcl/1990-12-28
Archive: rascal.ics.utexas.edu:/pub/AKCL.README [128.83.138.20]
Reposted-by: emv@ox.com (Edward Vielmetti)

(John Hodges) writes:
>Some time back someone mentioned that T had been ported to the NeXT and
>I grabbed it off of whatever ftp site they selected. I have not untared
>it yet, but suppose that it works. Of course, kcl or akcl would be a
>common lisp flavor other than Franz...

I don't know off-hand if anyone has brought AKCL up on a NeXT, but if
they have I'd recommend it over T.  AKCL is an excellent
implementation of Common Lisp, very correct and fast.  I've programmed
the same large system in both T and AKCL, and I much prefer AKCL.
There are things I like about T, particularly the object-oriented
aspects, but it is just too slow and kludgy compared to AKCL.

AKCL (and KCL) are available by anonymous ftp from
rascal.ics.utexas.edu.  There's a mailing list at kcl@cli.com.

					-- Scott Turner