[comp.archives] [sun-managers] Re: Reading DEC tapes with Sun OS

frew%crseo@hub.ucsb.edu (Jim Frew) (01/03/91)

Archive-name: hardware/tapes/dectp/1990-12-11
Archive: titan.rice.edu:/incoming/dectp.shar [128.42.1.30]
Reposted-by: emv@ox.com (Edward Vielmetti)

On 11 Dec 90 16:27:38 EST, Brian Cole <bragrt!bec@uunet.uu.net> wrote:

>I am trying to transfer ASCII data from a DEC VAX to a Sun 4/490
>via 1/2" tape.  Has anyone done this before ?  If so, what method
>works best ??   Ideally, I would like to know what command I need
>to use on the VAX, and then which command I should use on the Sun.

(I was unable to send mail to bragrt!bec@uunet.uu.net, so I am
 responding to the list -- no flames please.)

I wrote a program "dectp" that reads tapes written by the VMS COPY
command.  I use it regularly to transfer data from a VMS system to a
Sun-3/280 running 4.0.3.  The source is available in:

	titan.rice.edu:~ftp/incoming/dectp.shar

# Jim Frew        | frew@crseo.ucsb.edu   | Computer Systems Lab., UCSB
# +1 805 893 8413 | frew@ucsbuxa (BITNET) | Santa Barbara, CA 93106, USA