[comp.archives] [alt.books.technical] Re: Ethernet / Token Ring

spurgeon@.uucp (Charles E. Spurgeon) (01/11/91)

Archive-name: internet/guides/network-reading-list/1991-01-09
Archive: emx.utexas.edu:/pub/netinfo/docs/network-reading-list.* [128.83.1.33]
Reposted-by: emv@ox.com (Edward Vielmetti)

In article <91004.230658JTW106@psuvm.psu.edu> JTW106@psuvm.psu.edu (Jeff Wolfe) writes:

>Has anyone seen a good book(s) on Cabling Ethernet or Token ring? I'm looking
>for somthing on general strategy, restrictions, suggested methods, etc..

There aren't a lot of good tutorial guides on building Ethernets as
yet.  On the other hand, the Network Manager's Reading List contains a
number of resources for Ethernet information, including an HP LAN
manual that shows how to build Ethernet cables and describes Ethernet
coax topologies.  The reading list is free and available over the
network.

Here's the access info:

The Network Manager's Reading List is available via anonymous FTP from
host emx.utexas.edu in the pub/netinfo/docs directory, as filename
network-reading-list.{txt,ps}.

The Network Manager's Reading List is also available via electronic
mail and anonymous FTP from the following sites:
The list has been stored in text (txt) and PostScript (ps) format in
the Rice University SunSpot archives.
Via anonymous FTP:
		Hostname : titan.rice.edu (128.42.1.30)
		Directory: sun-source
		Filename : nmread.{txt,ps}

In other words, request nmread.txt or nmread.ps, depending on which
format of the file you want to retrieve.

Via electronic mail from Rice:
Archive Server Address: archive-server@rice.edu
Archive Server Command: send sun-source nmread.{txt,ps}

Send the archive server command in the body of the message addressed
to the archive server address.  Only the command string should be sent
in the message, do not use quotation marks or send any other verbiage
in the message.

For example, to retrieve the PostScript version of the file, send the
line "send sun-source nmread.ps" in the body of a message sent to
archive-server@rice.edu.  Do NOT include the quotation marks in your
message.
The list is also available via anonymous FTP from:
		Hostname : vax.ftp.com (128.127.2.100)
		Directory: pub
		Filename : net-reading-list.{txt,ps}
In Europe, the list access information is as follows:

The list has been stored in text (txt) and PostScript (ps) format in the
Dept. of Computer Science, Utrecht University, the Netherlands archives.
Via anonymous FTP:
		Hostname : sol.cs.ruu.nl [131.211.80.5]
		Directory: pub/DOC
		Filename : nmread.{txt,ps}.Z

Via electronic mail:
	Mail-Server Address:	mail-server@cs.ruu.nl
	Mail-Server Commands:	send DOC/nmread.txt.Z
				send DOC/nmread.ps.Z
				end

Files with .Z in the filename are compressed files, stored in binary
format.  In FTP, they must be retrieved using the binary mode of
transfer.  Compressed files are turned into normal files with the UNIX
uncompress command.

|"Those who weave networks           | Charles E. Spurgeon                 |
| shall be confounded."              | Univ. of Texas at Austin            |
|	-Isaiah 19:9                 | spurgeon@emx.utexas.edu             |