[comp.archives] [comp.unix.shell] Re: Questions concerning BaSH

fischer@iesd.auc.dk (Lars P. Fischer) (01/09/91)

Archive-name: unix/shell/bash/1991-01-08
Archive: prep.ai.mit.edu:/pub/gnu/bash-1.05*.tar.Z [18.71.0.38]
Reposted-by: emv@ox.com (Edward Vielmetti)

James> I have seen a few references to Bash.  I was just curious as to where
James> I can get it, and what are the pros cons in comparison to tsch.

The Bourne Again SHell is available from prep.ai.mit.edu and several
other places.

Compared to tcsh:
  - bash i sh syntax, which is much nicer and what you use for scripts
    anyway. Being able to pipe output from a loop i a must.
  - bash has a more powerful command line editor, ie. you can search
    for a line containing any string, etc.
  - the command line editor used in bash is available as a library for
    use in other programs. If you change the key bindings, it takes
    effect in *all* programs that use the command line editor. I like
    this a lot for use in gdb etc.
  - command line editing lets you retrieve individual lines from a
    loop, say. Being able to get the first line only is a true tcsh
    brain damage.
  - You get the src to hack.
  - The price is right :-)

Overall, it's a matter of preference: sh or csh. I used to be a csh
user, but nowadays I much prefer sh.

Try it.

/Lars
--
Lars Fischer,  fischer@iesd.auc.dk   | Q: How does a project get to be one
CS Dept., Univ. of Aalborg, DENMARK. | year late?     A: One day at a time.

chet@odin.INS.CWRU.Edu (Chet Ramey) (01/12/91)

Archive-name: unix/shell/cwru-bash/1991-01-10
Archive-directory: ftp.cwru.edu:/pub/bash/ [129.22.8.44]

In article <1991Jan10.183056.20614@spool.cs.wisc.edu> bothner@sevenlayer.cs.wisc.edu (Per Bothner) writes:

>> = Michael D Mellinger
> = Per Bothner

>>I found BASH 1.05 to be very unstable.
>
>I haven't. Very infrequently (less than once a month),
>I've noticed it freeze up on me, but generally I have no problems.
>
>>I wouldn't use it as my login shell.
>
>I do on my home Sony (68020, bsd 4.3-based), on my friend's
>DECstation3100, and I use it as my main shell (though I haven't
>updated /etc/passwd) on my office DEC3100.

I can't let an opportunity like this go by :-)

(CWRU bash is what is described in the manual page, available for anon
ftp from ftp.cwru.edu (aka cwns2.ins.cwru.edu, 129.22.8.44) in the
directory pub/bash.  Differences from the distributed versions of bash
are in the file CWRU-differences in the same directory.)

Everyone in my department uses CWRU bash as his login shell, and I have
given it to a number of other departments here, where it is also in daily
use as a login shell.  It has been my login shell since version 0.93.
(Of course, I fix all the problems I find myself.)

It runs as /bin/sh on my home machine (an IBM RT running 4.3 BSD) and on
a pool of RTs here at work.  Again, few or no complaints.  A couple of
people here are writing large shell applications using it -- it's far more
capable than the BSD sh.

>Version 1.06 is long overdue...

Agreed.

>tcsh is ok, but it is a bit of a kludge, and it requires csh
>source. Also, I would advise against writing major macros
>or programs using [t]csh, given that the Posix standard
>(and ksh and bash) are based on Bourne shell syntax.

CWRU Bash is an implementation of the Posix.2 shell spec, as of
draft 9 (and bits of draft 10).  It also includes most of the
Posix.2a spec, as of draft 5.

(I'd advise against writing csh applications anyway; the parser is
flakier than a bowl of cereal.)

>>BTW:  The BASH binary(like most GNU binaries) is quite large.

It was not `written small' like sh.  It actually uses the C library.
It does not have some of the built-in size limits of sh.  The line
editing code takes up a tremendous amount of space.

Chet
--
Chet Ramey				``There's just no surf in
Network Services Group			  Cleveland, U.S.A. ...''