[comp.archives] [comp.misc] Re: Can't Connect to SUMEX

ebrewer@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Ellen Brewer) (01/16/91)

Archive-name: sites/sumex-aim.stanford.edu/access/0--
Archive-directory: sumex-aim.stanford.edu:/info-mac/ [36.44.0.6]
Reposted-by: emv@ox.com (Edward Vielmetti)

In article <1991Jan15.020109.9548@cs.dal.ca> paixao@ug.cs.dal.ca
(Nuno M. Paixao) writes:
>The last few times, I have tried to connect to the INFO-MAC archives,
>I have had problems. After connecting to the site, and typing in
>the appropriate username (ANONYMOUS0 and the password, it replies that
>all connections are busy and to try back at a later time.
>
>This has happened to me both in the middle of the day and late at night
>on several occasions. Has SUMEX become that busy, or is there some sort of
>problem?

Quoting from Info-Mac Vol. 9 Issue 6:

>Date: Wed, 9 Jan 91 15:41:23 PST
>From: mtm@camis.stanford.edu (Mike Macgirvin)
>Subject: Administrivia
>
>[... From our sysadmin...]
>
>        We are installing a new ftp daemon on SUMEX-AIM which will limit
>the number of simultaneous anonymous ftp connections. We have been forced to
>this because the system load quite often gets high enough that normal
>usage comes to a standstill. Currently this is set up to allow 25 connections
>at a time, and anonymous logins are prevented after that until the number
>of connections again drops below 25. We are trying to find a way that this
>number can be raised during "off hours" so that possibly a hundred connections
>might be allowed in the middle of the night or on weekends. This will
>follow shortly, but presently, the limit is fixed at 25 round the clock.
>        We still wish to support the info-mac community, and hope that this
>does not cause undue hardships. As the limits will keep the system load to
>a reasonable level, file transfer performance should INCREASE significantly,
>allowing more transfers per unit of time, which should make life easier for
>the info-mac community in the long run.
>        I am asking that info-mac users be made aware of this policy, and
>to ask for everybody's cooperation to keep the ftp access open. They should
>keep their login time to a minimum, so that others will get a chance to use
>the service, and call during off hours (Pacific time) for the greatest
>chance of making a successful connection. This also implies that multiple
>connections per user is highly anti-social, and may lead to our taking
>even more anti-social actions to prevent this kind of activity.
>
>Thank you,
>
>mike - (Mike Macgirvin)       mtm@CAMIS.Stanford.EDU
>System Administrator          SUMEX-AIM Computer Facility
>
>[There also seems to have been a change to the password checker. It now
> looks to see if the password seems like a real mail address. -Bill]

Quoting from Info-Mac Vol. 9 Issue 7:

--
Ellen Brewer (ebrewer@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu)
"Non ignara mali, miseris succurrere disco."