[comp.archives] [comp.sys.amiga.emulations] Re: Apple II emulator

darekm@microsoft.UUCP (Darek MIHOCKA) (01/16/91)

Archive-name: sys/atari-st/appleemu/1991-01-15
Archive: terminator.cc.umich.edu:/atari/applications/appleemu.arc [141.211.164.8]
Reposted-by: emv@ox.com (Edward Vielmetti)

In article <1991Jan10.195940.1136@javelin.es.com> pashdown@javelin.sim.es.com writes:

>I got a few requests to upload that Apple II emulator for the ST somewhere.
>Well, originally, I found it on an ST ftp site.  Its still there.
>
>terminator.cc.umich.edu   141.211.164.8
>/atari/applications/appleemu.arc

I should add one further note about the Apple II emulator.

Whichever version you have, IT IS ILLEGAL to post the emulator with the
APPLSOFT.BIN file because that file contains an image of the Apple II ROMs.
If someone uploaded a fully working copy to the net, then that person as
well as the site holding the file could hear from Apple's lawyers. Please
delete APPLSOFT.BIN to avoid any problems.

Also, there are several versions of the Apple II emalator. If you are using
one dated October 1986, do not use it. It is a beta version that was leaked
out (by a pirate Atari dealer of all people). There is a January 1987 release
which should be considered the "first" release of the emulator, and it runs
at about 15%-20% the speed of an Apple II. I suspect that this is the
version that is floating around.

There was a second release in ST Xformer 2.1, which runs at about 40% the
speed of an Apple, which was released in 1988. Past that, I have not released
Apple compatible versions of ST Xformer since then, since the Atari ST
community was mainly interested in Atari 800 and Atari XE emulation. The
current speed is about 50% the speed of the 6502, so that is about 3 times
faster than the version people are using.

The offer that I posted yesterday still stands. If someone here in Seattle
is willing to let me borrow their Amiga development system, I would be
willing to port the latest version of ST Xformer to the Amiga. Give me
a call at (206)-885-5893, evenings. Developers only, please.

- Darek

p.s. - I would also be interested in seeing the Atari ST emulator for the
Amiga. Does it run on the Amiga 3000? If so, it's funny to think that Amiga
owners can run ST software on a 68030 before Atari even releases the TT!

  Darek Mihocka, author of ST Xformer.     All views expressed are my own.
  Branch Always Software, 14150 NE 20th St. Suite 302, Bellevue, WA  98007