[comp.archives] [tcp-ip] Re: CMU SNMP and/or opinions

sw0l+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU ("Steven L. Waldbusser") (01/29/91)

Archive-name: snmp/package/cmu-snmp/1991-01-23
Archive: lancaster.andrew.cmu.edu:/pub/snmp1.1b.tar [128.2.13.21]
Reposted-by: emv@ox.com (Edward Vielmetti)

Excerpts from internet.tcp-ip: 21-Jan-91 CMU SNMP and/or opinions Kathy
R. c. x3899@aedc-v (955)

> 	I am looking for a public domain SNMP package. I understand
> Carnegie-Mellon has written a package, but I am not sure how or where to look
> for it.  If there are any other public domain packages available, I am not
> aware of them.

CMU SNMP is available for anonymous FTP from lancaster.andrew.cmu.edu in
the file pub/cmu-snmp1.0.tar (or get the newer beta version in
pub/snmp1.1b.tar).

There are two other public domain packages, MIT and ISODE:
MIT: allspice.lcs.mit.edu, file "pub/snmp/snmp.tar"
ISODE: uu.psi.com, file pilot/src/...

  The CMU code continues to be enhanced and updated.  There is no
mailing list of users (although I consider this occasionally), but there
are several hundred users, many of whom read the snmp mailing list (as I
do).  There is no telephone support.  If you need support of this level,
I'd suggest one of the many fine commercial packages such as the one
from SNMP Research.

  Predictably, my opinions about the CMU package are pretty high, so I
won't bother to comment.

Steve