[comp.archives] [neural-nets] Re: GA software - GENESIS 1.2ucsd

schraudo@beowulf.ucsd.edu (Nici Schraudolph) (01/29/91)

Archive-name: ai/neural-nets/genesis-ucsd/1991-01-27
Archive: iuvax.cs.indiana.edu:/pub/alife/software/unix/GAucsd/GENESIS.*.Z [129.79.254.192]
Reposted-by: emv@ox.com (Edward Vielmetti)

>Anybody know of any public domain, freeware, shareware or other low-cost
>software for genetic algorithms (a la Holland) and/or evolutionary
>programming (a la Fogel)?  I will, of course, post a summary of what I
>receive; please respond by direct e-mail rather than a posting.

I'll take the liberty of posting this since I was about to announce the
latest release of our GENESIS GA software to this group in any case.
This package is not to be confused with CalTech's identically named
neural net simulator!  The current release, 1.2ucsd, fixes all known
bugs of earlier versions and adds several new features.  So here goes:

------------------------------- cut here -------------------------------

GENESIS is a package for function optimization based on the genetic
search techniques developed by John Holland, written and maintained
by John J. Grefenstette (gref@aic.nrl.navy.mil).  David Goldberg's
book "Genetic Algorithms in Search, Optimization and Machine Learning"
(Addison-Wesley 1989) provides an introduction to these techniques.

GENESIS is written in C under Unix but should easily be portable
to many other operating systems.  To make full use of our user
interface, however, you do need versions of 'awk', 'sh' and 'make'
on your machine.

Starting from GENESIS 4.5, we at UCSD have begun developing our
own enhanced versions of the package; our current revision is
GENESIS 1.2ucsd.  The source code (about 200kB) can be obtained
free via anonymous ftp as follows:

% mkdir GAucsd
% cd GAucsd
% ftp iuvax.cs.indiana.edu	(or 129.79.254.192)
Login: anonymous
Password: <your e-mail address>
ftp> cd pub/alife/software/unix/GAucsd
ftp> binary
ftp> get GENESIS.1.Z
ftp> get GENESIS.2.Z
ftp> get GENESIS.3.Z
ftp> get GENESIS.4.Z
ftp> quit
% uncompress GENESIS.?.Z
% chmod +x GENESIS.?
% GENESIS.1
% GENESIS.2
% GENESIS.3
% GENESIS.4
% lpr UsersGuide
% view README

If you are not able to obtain the code this way you can use my
mail server: just send me (nici%cs@ucsd.edu) a message with the
subject line containing "send 1.2ucsd source".  The body of the
message will be ignored, so do not write anything of consequence!
In reply you should receive four shell archive files to save and
unpack.

If after getting acquainted with GENESIS 1.2ucsd you wish to be
put on a mailing list for bug reports and other updates, send
me a message to that effect.  Note that although I do appreciate
and react to bug reports, I do not accept any responsibility for
correctness or suitability of 1.2ucsd for any purpose whatsoever.

San Diego, 01/27/90

--
Nicol N. Schraudolph, C-014          | "And long cars in long lines
University of California, San Diego  |  And great big signs, and they all say:

schraudo@beowulf.ucsd.edu (Nici Schraudolph) (01/29/91)

Archive-name: astro/navigation/metcalf-nav/1991-01-27
Archive: mamane.ifa.hawaii.edu:/pub/metcalf/nav.dist.ver4 [128.171.5.11]