[comp.archives] [bionet.molbio.genbank] Re: A question for FTP users

Cherry@Frodo.MGH.Harvard.EDU (J. Michael Cherry) (01/29/91)

Archive-name: bionet/molbio/geninfo-backbone/1991-01-25
Archive-directory: ncbi.nlm.nih.gov:/toolbox/asn_0.5/ [130.14.20.1]
Reposted-by: emv@ox.com (Edward Vielmetti)

In article <CMM.0.88.664670183.kristoff@genbank.bio.net>
kristoff@GENBANK.BIO.NET (Dave Kristofferson) writes:
> The people at NCBI will be running the next GenBank contract
> and have it in their charter to develop standards.  I would hope that
> they would comment on these issues.  NCBI has already held developers
> meetings on their proposed ASN.1 standard which I hope people are
> anticipating.

Please forgive my nitnicking that follows but I'd hate to see things get
more confused. This is not directed to Dave's posting I just quoted it
so you would see were things start.

The NCBI proposed database standard is built using a transaction/notation
standard called ASN.1. ASN.1 has been adopted by several commercial computer
and software companies for a variety of applications. ASN.1 is not the name
of the NCBI standard. I believe the NCBI refers to the database format by the
name of their nascent database - GenInfo Backbone. You can retrieve a copy of
the the GenInfo Backbone format version 0.5 via anonymous ftp from
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov. Look in the toolbox/asn_0.5 directory.

[Additional text deleted. --Ed]

Mike Cherry
cherry@frodo.mgh.harvard.edu
Department of Molecular Biology