[net.auto] the right to speed

debray@sbcs.UUCP (Saumya Debray) (04/30/85)

david@ut-sally:
> One time my little sister had received burns over 20% of her body ,and
> all over her face in an explosion ... while speeding on the way to the
> Hospital some ASS HOLE like YOU got his SELF-RIGHTEOUS car in my way
> and would not let me pass ... I had to just run him off the road ...

Curious -- don't they have them beasties called "ambulances" down in Texas?
You know, those vans painted kinda funny with them flashing lights that
tell people to get outa their way?
--
Saumya Debray
SUNY at Stony Brook

	uucp: {allegra, hocsd, philabs, ogcvax} !sbcs!debray
	arpa: debray%suny-sb.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa
	CSNet: debray@sbcs.csnet

mike@dolqci.UUCP (Mike Stalnaker) (05/01/85)

> david@ut-sally:
> > One time my little sister had received burns over 20% of her body ,and
> > all over her face in an explosion ... while speeding on the way to the
> > Hospital some ASS HOLE like YOU got his SELF-RIGHTEOUS car in my way
> > and would not let me pass ... I had to just run him off the road ...
>
> Saumya Debray:
> Curious -- don't they have them beasties called "ambulances" down in Texas?
> You know, those vans painted kinda funny with them flashing lights that
> tell people to get outa their way?

Look Ass-hole, In burn cases time is CRITICAL!  1 lousy minute spent
waiting for "them beasties called 'amublances'" can literally mean the
difference between life and death!!!! Have YOU ever had to wait for the
"timely" arrival of an ambulance?  Generally, they do ok. (Please note:
this is not a flame about ambulance crews, I have nothing but praise for
those guys) But consider the following situation:  I live approx 7 miles
from the nearest Ambulance (out in the country), it's also approx 7
miles from my house into the hospital in town.  If some one is in a life
threatening situation (eg bleeding to death from a wound or a burn victim)
I'll be DAMNED if I'm going to wait 14 minutes at best (60 mph is the
absolute max average speed on the roads where I live due to twists and
turns) and possibly longer if the closest ambulance crew happens to be
out on another call, and dispatch has to send a different one!  Think
before you make some smartass comment like above! Not everyone lives in
the middle of a city or town where there's an ambulance within a few
blocks!!!!!!!
Flame off.

--

  Mike Stalnaker  UUCP:{decvax!decuac,cbosgd,seismo}!dolqci!mike
		  AT&T:202-376-2593

		  "Never appeal to a man's better nature. He may not
		   have one. Appeal to his better interests instead"
						--Lazarus Long

david@ut-sally.UUCP (David R. Kuykendall) (05/01/85)

In article <254@sbcs.UUCP> debray@sbcs.UUCP (Saumya Debray) writes:
>david@ut-sally:
>> One time my little sister had received burns over 20% of her body ,and
>> all over her face in an explosion ... while speeding on the way to the
>> Hospital some ASS HOLE like YOU got his SELF-RIGHTEOUS car in my way
>> and would not let me pass ... I had to just run him off the road ...
>
>Curious -- don't they have them beasties called "ambulances" down in Texas?
>You know, those vans painted kinda funny with them flashing lights that
>Saumya Debray
>SUNY at Stony Brook

Dear saumya,

    What are you stupid!  (say this slowly) How long does it take an
ambulance to travel the distance X.  So, the round trip is the time of
2X.  If I can travel it in X. Which is faster?

    She did not have a heart attack.  She needed to get to a burn center.
An Ambulance was no help.  So, drop dead you critical slime!
Come down to texas some time and see me. I'll explain.

                                 david@ut-sally

lrd@drusd.UUCP (L. R. DuBroff) (05/03/85)

>david@ut-sally:
>> One time my little sister had received burns over 20% of her body ,and
>> all over her face in an explosion ... while speeding on the way to the
>> Hospital some ASS HOLE like YOU got his SELF-RIGHTEOUS car in my way
>> and would not let me pass ... I had to just run him off the road ...

debray@sbcs.UUCP (Saumya Debray)
>Curious -- don't they have them beasties called "ambulances" down in Texas?

Read the article before replying.  It was specified that in burn cases,
time is critical.  They probably do have ambulances in Texas.  Waiting
for an ambulance will probably more than double the time it takes to get
the patient to a hospital (round trip time vs. one-way time).

I agree, to some degree, with the original poster.  If a self-appointed
guardian of the speed limit is deliberately impeding my progress when a
member of my family needs immediate medical attention, making it a case
of my family's survival vs. the jerk who has decided to enforce the
speed limit, guess who's gonna lose!

daw1@rduxb.UUCP (WILLIAMS) (05/03/85)

> david@ut-sally:
> > One time my little sister had received burns over 20% of her body ,and
> > all over her face in an explosion ... while speeding on the way to the
> > Hospital some ASS HOLE like YOU got his SELF-RIGHTEOUS car in my way
> > and would not let me pass ... I had to just run him off the road ...
>
> Curious -- don't they have them beasties called "ambulances" down in Texas?
> You know, those vans painted kinda funny with them flashing lights that
> tell people to get outa their way?
> --
> Saumya Debray
> SUNY at Stony Brook
>
> 	uucp: {allegra, hocsd, philabs, ogcvax} !sbcs!debray
> 	arpa: debray%suny-sb.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa
> 	CSNet: debray@sbcs.csnet

	You're a typical SUNY person: not too bright! It's probably much
quicker to transport a person from your home yourself than to wait for
an ambulance in cases where you can do so safely. Especially in cases
where time is of the essence. Of course, there are injuries (e.g., neck)
where it's better to have trained people move the victim.

	As to the original posting, I too would run a self-appointed
"enforcer" off the road in an *extreme* emergency if there were no
alternatives.

					Doug Williams
					rduxb!daw1

debray@sbcs.UUCP (Saumya Debray) (05/04/85)

It's been brought to my attention (in no uncertain terms!) that my comment
regarding ambulances and speeding in emergencies (the instance, cited by
david@ut-sally, was of a burn victim) is inapplicable in many situations.
As a foreign student, I guess my experience of rural USA hasn't been
extensive enough to permit accurate generalizations under all cases.  I
stand chastized.
--
Saumya Debray
SUNY at Stony Brook

	uucp: {allegra, hocsd, philabs, ogcvax} !sbcs!debray
	arpa: debray%suny-sb.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa
	CSNet: debray@sbcs.csnet

bmt@we53.UUCP ( B. M. Thomas ) (05/05/85)

I find it interesting that in over 15 years and half a million miles of driving
in nearly every kind of vehicle on every kind of road in at least sixteen states
I have never seen the kind of driver that the speedsters refer to as the
"holier-than-thou enforcer of the 55 mph limit".  I don't keep under the limit
religiously, all I have ever seen is the kind that gets ticked off when
someone comes up behind at a relative speed of some 20 mph or more and
starts tailgating at 65 or 70.  I have been in that category myself.
There is absolutely no reason to do that.  There is no need at all to be
that close at that speed.  And yes, though it may be a fault in me, I
have a hard time reacting with charity to someone who is willing to risk
his and other peoples' lives for the sake of his ego.
  Understand that the person in question is not merely in a hurry.  I can get
through heavy traffic at well above the average speed without either tailgating
or braking.  So can he.  Now, as I get older, it becomes easier to ignore that
sort of foolishness, and I have also become more aware of the fact that
sometimes there is an emergency, but if I can't get out of the way, and I am
not somewhere that I shouldn't be, you might understand how I could get offended
by that kind of thing.  Maybe I've never noticed the obstructors because I'm
too busy watching the road ahead and passing them, who knows?

brain

bhs@siemens.UUCP (05/06/85)

How unfortunate it is that you have to brand yourself as a boor by your
choice of words.

Your descriptions of total strangers really do leave something to be
desired, such as, for example, tact or manners.

How unfortunate it is that people like you only serve to reenforce the
somewhat unflattering rumors that one hears here about Texans.

Bernard H. Schwab
Siemens RTL, Princeton, NJ

gnome@olivee.UUCP (Gary Traveis) (05/08/85)

> david@ut-sally:
> > One time my little sister had received burns over 20% of her body ,and
> > all over her face in an explosion ... while speeding on the way to the
> > Hospital some ASS HOLE like YOU got his SELF-RIGHTEOUS car in my way
> > and would not let me pass ... I had to just run him off the road ...
>
> Curious -- don't they have them beasties called "ambulances" down in Texas?
> You know, those vans painted kinda funny with them flashing lights that
> tell people to get outa their way?
> --
> Saumya Debray
> SUNY at Stony Brook

A comment like that is really typical...  Yes, there are "ambulances"
all over the country - And if you do something stupid to yourself,
like decide to creep out of an on-ramp in front of a tractor-trailer,
you will find out just how fatally long it takes for one of those
"funny painted vans" to get to you.