[comp.archives] [gnu] Re: Gnu mailer, will it be smail3?

mea@nic.funet.fi (Matti E Aarnio) (01/31/91)

Archive-name: mail/smtp/zmailer/1991-01-27
Archive: cs.toronto.edu:/pub/zmailer.tar.Z [128.100.3.2]
Reposted-by: emv@ox.com (Edward Vielmetti)

In article <1991Jan6.141111.27129@lth.se> jh@efd.lth.se (Joergen Haegg) writes:

>Will smail3 be the official gnu-mailer?
>
>And if so, what plans of the future development are made for smail?

   Not necessarily.
I have been in `alpha team' of Zmailer by Rayan Zahariassen from UofToronto
<rayan@cs.toronto.edu>  and that effort has created a very good mailer - if
you have BSD environment...

   As I have been told, Smail3 sits also into SysV, but you can't do that
to Zmailer, unless your kernel has   setreuid() call with same reversible
sematics as BSD has.  (Or unless you rework Zmailer security mechanisms.)

  On the other hand, GNU project should create a kernel which can for sure
run Zmailer as well (and then I can purge SysV from my 386...)

  Current version is `pre-release 2.0', it has (at least had in the morning)
a couple annyoing behaviours, but no fatal bugs.  It is highly portable,
keeping in mind SysV limits (SysV R4 may differ ?), configuration system is
easily understandable, it is efficient, etc.  What more you can ask for ?
Available from:		CS.TORONTO.EDU: pub/zmailer.tar.Z
NORDUnet/EUnet users:	NIC.FUNET.FI: pub/unix/mail/zmailer-pre2.0.tar.Z

  I am using it on day to day basis to drive various mailinglists and other
services here at NIC. It handles load gracefully, and recently when I created
700 small mailfiles in single bunch (a bug in my program, was supposed to
create one mail of 700 lines...), Zmailer handled them one by one, and not like
sendmail by launching 700 processes with respective loads...

	/Matti Aarnio <mea@nic.funet.fi>