[comp.archives] [comp.os.msdos.apps] Re: Looking for UUCP for MS-DOS--simtel20 doesn't seem to be working for me

emmonsl@athena.ecs.csus.edu (L. Scott Emmons) (02/04/91)

Archive-name: mail/uucp/msdos-uucp/1991-02-03
Archive-directory: wuarchive.wustl.edu:/mirrors/msdos/uucp/ [128.252.135.4]
Reposted-by: emv@ox.com (Edward Vielmetti)

In article <1991Jan31.211015.1@lucy.claremont.edu> dhosek@lucy.claremont.edu (Don Hosek) writes:
>I am unable to get valid copies of the various ZIP files from simtel20 in
>pd1:<msdos.uucp>. I've gotten other files just fine so I suspect they may be
>corrupt. Can anyone suggest another place to find PD/SW UUCP software for
>MSDOS?

Try ftping them from wuarchive.wustl.edu (128.252.135.4).  The /mirrors
directory has everything that simtel does.  This site has 3 big advantages
over simtel.  First, simtel's user limit is at 100% nearly all the time, so
you can't get in...I've never gotten a refused connection from wustl.
Second, (at least from my site) the connection to wustl is a higher speed line
than to simtel, so file retrievals take about 10-25% of the time that it takes
to get them from simtel.  And Third, you don't have to fight the TOPS-20
directory structure system (i.e. 'cd' works the way you would expect it to...)

The files you want should be in /mirrors/msdos/uucp.  Good luck!

			L. Scott Emmons
	emmons@csus.csus.edu  <or>  ...[ucbvax]!ucdavis!csus!emmons
		Packet: kc6nfp@kg6xx.#nocal.ca.usa.na