[net.auto] Seat Belts - blaming the victim

jayt@ssc-vax.UUCP (Jay T McCanta) (04/30/85)

It seems to me that everyone is  missing the  point in  the seat belt
issue.  The issue has nothing  to do  with legislation  rights of the
gov't, nor does it deal with personal rights to risk  one's own neck.
The real issue has  been convoluted  into the  seat belt  issue.  The
real issue is that auto's are not being manufactured to be  safe.  It
is  a  lot  easier  to blame  the victim  instead of  blaming the car
makers.  The big Detroit boys claim that to make cars safer, it would
increase the cost too much.  The increased  cost would  lead to fewer
being purchased.  Because fewer  cars would  be sold,  there would be
need  for  fewer  workers.    The need  for fewer  workers results in
layoffs which make the politian look bad.  Read this backward and you
see why the lawmakers are not making the requirements tougher.

Just how much extra would it  cost to  make a  car safer?   About six
years ago, the Dept.  of Transportation  design a  car.   It was very
attractive (looked similar to a Camero) and were  fuel efficient (use
an Honda engine) and the  chances of  surviving hitting  a brick wall
head-on  at  55  mph  were  above  80%.   The chances  of surviving a
side-ways crash were less, but  still well  above what  any car being
produced  could  do.    They  built  the  car for  around $8000 (1979
dollars).  The Dept's position was that if the gov't  could built one
car for this amount, then the private sector  could mass-produce them
for a lot less and still make a profit.

Seat belt laws are not the answer, although the car makers would like
us to believe it, but safer care are the answer.  Let us stop blaming
the victim in this issue.

     I HATE CENTRAL EXPRESSWAY ...
                                 ... and I live in Seattle.
Jay T. McCanta
Boeing Aerospace     These ideas are mine and I claim them.
Kent, Wa.            My employer may not want to share in claiming.

{uw-beaver|adiron|cesonix|argus|purdue}!ssc-vax!jayt

2141smh@rduxb.UUCP (henning) (05/01/85)

> Seat belt laws are not the answer, although the car makers would like
> us to believe it, but safer care are the answer.  Let us stop blaming
> the victim in this issue.

****                                                                 ****
From the keys of Steve Henning, AT&T Bell Labs, Reading, PA rduxb!2141smh

The europeans have developed several of the safest cars in the world.
The main design feature that was common to each of these designs was
a good, well designed integral shoulder and lap restraint system.
This system is used in all aircraft, fighter planes, race cars, and
on my stock Volvo.  It is called the combination lap and shoulder belt.

mag@whuxlm.UUCP (Gray Michael A) (05/04/85)

> Just how much extra would it  cost to  make a  car safer?   About six
> years ago, the Dept.  of Transportation  design a  car.   It was very
> attractive (looked similar to a Camero) and were  fuel efficient (use
> an Honda engine) and the  chances of  surviving hitting  a brick wall
> head-on  at  55  mph  were  above  80%.   The chances  of surviving a
> side-ways crash were less, but  still well  above what  any car being
> produced  could  do.    They  built  the  car for  around $8000 (1979
> dollars).  The Dept's position was that if the gov't  could built one
> car for this amount, then the private sector  could mass-produce them
> for a lot less and still make a profit.
>
> Jay T. McCanta

Come ON!! Nobody could build a prototype car for $8000!  It costs
hundreds of thousands just to prototype a body!  This needs support.
Probably, what really happened is that they spent millions and millions
of dollars building a few prototypes that survived 55 mph head-ons
reliably.  THEN, they sat down and ESTIMATED that a private manufacturer
could do it for $8000.  I'd like to see evidence that such an estimate
was in any way reliable.  Also, in 1979 $8000 would get you a decent
car with power-almost everything, stereo, AC, and several other goodies.
Did these features exist on the prorotype?  Probably not. Were they
included in the estimate?  I doubt it.  Anyway, $8000 then is like
about $11,000 in todays dollars.  If they could make a car that
had that amount of safety and compared well with current cars in
features, they'd DO IT!  All you need are about 1 million safety
fanatics to make a profit.  I'd buy it.  I have a hunch that such
a safe car would cost about $25,000 to build, though.  At that price,
most people couldn't afford it.  Those who could afford it would
probably use the money to buy luxury and performance.

Mike Gray

bhs@siemens.UUCP (05/06/85)

Very few people can physically survive a crash from 55 mph in a reasonably
sized car.

If you consider the decelleration that your body would go through,
you would see that there are very high G forces.

It would be survivable if the hood were very long, but then you would have a
full sized roadboat with the related weight.

Otherwise, it is possible to build almost any size car so that the passenger
cage does not deform at such a crash, simply by welding in enough steel
into the frame.

This approach however would require mucho weight, which, when coupled with
a honda engine would mean excessively slow accelaration.

Bernard H. Schwab

mary@bunkerb.UUCP (Mary Shurtleff) (05/06/85)

> Anyway, $8000 then is like
> about $11,000 in todays dollars.  If they could make a car that
> had that amount of safety and compared well with current cars in
> features, they'd DO IT!  All you need are about 1 million safety
> fanatics to make a profit.  I'd buy it.

They DO make safe cars for ~12K or so--have you looked at many of today's
European cars?  Volvo and Saab especially are known for their safety features,
and you can get a reasonably-equipped model for a little under 12K.  BTW,
lots of people do buy them--they're not just for safety fanatics.

M. Shurtleff

dougs@teklds.UUCP (Doug Schwartz) (05/08/85)

I hate to burst your bubble, but I survived a 65+ off-the-road-into-a-
telephone-pole-crash about 15 years ago. I fell asleep at the wheel early
in the morning and went off the road. The engine was pushed back against
the seat and the car -- a Chevy wagon -- was totalled. The only scratch I
got from the whole mess was when I crawled out the driver's side window (it
was on its side). Sometime I will have to tell you about my 120+ motorcycle
crash -- I tweaked my pinky!
Doug (you build it -- I break it) Schwartz

allgair@fritz.UUCP (Ed Allgair) (05/10/85)

In an article Bernard Schwab writes:

>Very few people can physically survive a crash from 55 mph in a reasonably
>sized car.
>
>It would be survivable if the hood were very long, but then you would have a
>full sized roadboat with the related weight.

How long is the hood on an Indy car?

>Otherwise, it is possible to build almost any size car so that the passenger
>cage does not deform at such a crash, simply by welding in enough steel
>into the frame.
>
>This approach however would require mucho weight,...

How much does an Indy car weigh?

I know, I know, 'How much does an Indy car *cost*?'  Aha!  That's the answer
to safe cars!

Ed Allgair