[comp.archives] [news.software.b] Re: Where is latest C News for HP-UX 7.0?

Archive-name: news/c-news/c-news/1991-02-09
Archive: cs.toronto.edu:/pub/c-news/c-news.tar.Z [128.100.1.65]
Reposted-by: emv@ox.com (Edward Vielmetti)

In article <361@camdev.comm.mot.com?> sscott@camdev.comm.mot.com	 (Steve Scott) writes:
>... Where are the latest sources?

The current C News distribution can currently always be retrieved by
anonymous ftp from cs.toronto.edu in file pub/c-news/c-news.Z (a shell
archive) or pub/c-news/c-news.tar.Z (a tar archive) and the complete set
of patches can also be found on cs.toronto.edu in the directory
pub/c-news/patches.  FTP during our peak hours (12h00-17h00 Eastern) is
not encouraged.

>What is
>the latest version/patch level?

The latest patch was 15-Dec-1990.  I'd hoped to get another out -- some
small fixes and the usual run of routine upgrades -- before I left for
Boskone, but that now looks unlikely, so prognosis is that the next one
will be late this month.

>Are there extensive modifications
>required to make it play on hp-ux?

Not that anybody's told us in particular... assuming you have a working
shell.  If you can run something like this:

	x=y
	if test " $x" != " y"
	then
		echo oops
	fi

and not have it say "oops", you should be all right; otherwise you're
in for tedious surgery on shell scripts to work around this bug, which
HP appears to have introduced in the course of trying to make the shell
8-bit clean.  Maybe they haven't propagated it onto the Apollos...
--
"Maybe we should tell the truth?"      | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
"Surely we aren't that desperate yet." |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry