[net.auto] Uneven Front Wheels -- Designed In!

jeh@ritcv.UUCP (Jim Heliotis) (05/01/85)

The mechanic where I bought my 1985 Mercury Lynx said that all '84 and '85
Escorts and Lynxs/Lynxes/Lynces/Lynx(?) tend to drift to the left a bit be-
cause of the transaxle design:  The right wheel is actually slightly forward
of the left wheel!  Now they tell me!

This sounds bizarre to me.  Any mechanical types want to explain this one?

				Jim Heliotis
				{allegra,seismo}!rochester!ritcv!jeh
				rocksvax!ritcv!jeh
				ritcv!jeh@Rochester

bhs@siemens.UUCP (05/06/85)

Sounds like perfect bullcr*p to me, as this would make for some perfectly
ridiculous suspension geometries in the front end.

Talk to some different mechanics, say at a tire place. I've driven  some
of them thar cars, and mine didn't drift. I would guess that the mechanic
did a poor wheel alignment job and will not admit to it.

Bernard H. Schwab
Siemens RTL, Princeton, NJ

bhs@siemens.UUCP (05/07/85)

Here's an addendum to my first reply:

As will just about all front wheel drive cars, the Escort/Lynx will display a
phenomenon known as torque steer, which will be most noticeable under
acceleration. As for the exact explanation of why it happens, well, geez, I
would have to read up on the reason.

Anyways, in steady cruising, you really should not be able to notice it, and
thus my first reply still stands as far as I am concerned.

But, obviously, I am willing to stand corrected.

Bernard H. Schwab
Siemens RTL, Princeton, NJ

allgair@fritz.UUCP (Ed Allgair) (05/10/85)

In article <> bhs@siemens.UUCP (Bernard Schwab) writes:

>Sounds like perfect bullcr*p to me, as this would make for some perfectly
>ridiculous suspension geometries in the front end.

The Renault LeCar has a longer wheelbase on one side than the other. This
is because the half-shafts for the front-driven wheels leave the transmission
case one further forward than the other. Suspension geometry? Intuitively
I would say the car would corner better one way than the other, but not by
much.

Ed Allgair