[net.auto] Reliable

nessus@nsc.UUCP (Kchula-Rrit) (05/04/85)

     This has been kicking around my mind for a while now, but with the sudden
demise(again!) of my 1970 Toyota today, I'm thinking more seriously of getting
another car.

     I may do so if my tax return is large enough.  The model years under
consideration are the early 1970's, the makes are Volvo, Saab, Ford(small), and
Chrysler(small).  The price range may be approx $1500(California).

     The primary considerations are:

	0.  Good fuel economy.
	1.  Reliable.
	2.  Easy to maintain.
	3.  Roomy enough interior for two people to take an extended trip
	    without going crazy.
	4.  Inexpensive purchase price.

     I realize that #4 sort of rules out Volvo/Saab, but I've heard good things
about them; that's why they are there.  Needless to say, I'm not overly
impressed with Japanese cars at this point.  Would the person who said that
"Toyotas are noted for reliability/economy" please tell that to my car(:-)?

                                   From the alter ego of--

                                   Kchula-Rrit
                                   !menlo70!nsc!nessus

phil@amdcad.UUCP (Phil Ngai) (05/05/85)

In article <2663@nsc.UUCP>, nessus@nsc.UUCP (Kchula-Rrit) writes:
>      I realize that #4 sort of rules out Volvo/Saab, but I've heard good things
> about them; that's why they are there.  Needless to say, I'm not overly
> impressed with Japanese cars at this point.  Would the person who said that
> "Toyotas are noted for reliability/economy" please tell that to my car(:-)?

You don't mention how the car has been treated; even if you take religiously
good care of your car (and few people do) if you bought it used, the previous
owner may not have. Even Toyotas can be abused, especially over a 15 year
period. Hmm, I don't think frigs or washers/dryers are expected to last that
long. And your car is old enough that any car could be expected to need major
maintenance like an engine overhaul. Even a Volvo or Saab.
--
 I speak for myself and no one else.

 Phil Ngai (408) 749-5720
 ARPA: amdcad!phil@decwrl.ARPA

kevin@gitpyr.UUCP (Kevin Campbell) (05/11/85)

> *** REPLACE THIS LINE WITH YOUR MESSAGE ***
>
>      This has been kicking around my mind for a while now, but with the sudden
j?> demise(again!) of my 1970 Toyota today, I'm thinking more seriously of getting
> another car.
>
>      I may do so if my tax return is large enough.  The model years under
> consideration are the early 1970's, the makes are Volvo, Saab, Ford(small), and
> Chrysler(small).  The price range may be approx $1500(California).
>
>      The primary considerations are:
>
> 	0.  Good fuel economy.
> 	1.  Reliable.
> 	2.  Easy to maintain.
> 	3.  Roomy enough interior for two people to take an extended trip
> 	    without going crazy.
> 	4.  Inexpensive purchase price.
>
>      I realize that #4 sort of rules out Volvo/Saab, but I've heard good things
> about them; that's why they are there.  Needless to say, I'm not overly
> impressed with Japanese cars at this point.  Would the person who said that
> "Toyotas are noted for reliability/economy" please tell that to my car(:-)?
>

>                                    From the alter ego of--
>
>                                    Kchula-Rrit
>                                    !menlo70!nsc!nessus

Kevin Campbell
...!{akgua,allegra,amd,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo,ut-ngp}!gatech!gitpyr!kevin