[comp.archives] [nntp] Re: NNTP 1.5.11 patch: history file checking

alden@shape.mps.ohio-state.edu (Dave Alden) (02/19/91)

Archive-name: news/nntp/nntplink/1991-02-14
Archive: shape.mps.ohio-state.edu:/pub/nntplink/nntplink2.2.tar.Z [128.146.7.200]
Reposted-by: emv@ox.com (Edward Vielmetti)

In article <1991Feb13.174417.20130@elroy.jpl.nasa.gov> stevo@elroy.jpl.nasa.gov (Steve Groom) writes:
>We ran into some problems with nntpd when neighbors running nntplink
>upgraded to v2.1.  Nntplink is designed to open a connection to a
>remote nntpd and hold it open for a while.  It also contains some code
>to force a disconnection from the remote nntpd after a certain period
>of time.  In v2.1, that code is broken, and nntplink may keep the
>connection open for a very long time (many hours, perhaps days).  A fix
>for nntplink is in the works.

The patch has been placed on shape.mps.ohio-state.edu [128.146.7.200] under
/pub/nntplink/diff-2.1-2.2.shar.Z or you can just pick up the new version
/pub/nntplink/nntplink2.2.tar.Z  -  Please pick up a new copy.  I would
also like to suggest that if you are running nntplink that you get on the
mailing list - there isn't a whole lot of traffic on it however this is
the best way to find out about any bugs that may have been discovered,
along with announcements of bug fixes, new versions, etc...

>In the meantime, I've looked into the
>problem from nntpd's perspective, a sort of defensive move.  You see,
>it's not whether or not *you* run nntplink 2.1 that determines whether
>this will bite you, it's whether or not your neighbor does.

It's probably not a bad idea that this patch adopted as a permanent part
of nntpd.

...dave