[comp.archives] [sci.electronics] Re: TV remote control codes

scott@blueeyes.kines.uiuc.edu (scott) (02/19/91)

Archive-name: tv/hardware/zapper/1991-02-14
Archive: mrcnext.cso.uiuc.edu:/video/zapper.* [128.174.201.12]
Reposted-by: emv@ox.com (Edward Vielmetti)

In article <43935@ut-emx.uucp> greg@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Greg Harp) writes:

>This looks like a good time to jump in with a question I thought of this
>morning.  I came up with the (probably not very original) idea of "digitizing"
>remote control codes with my computer and playing it back via software
>control.  Then not only could I add timing features to my audio/video
>equipment, but I wouldn't have a pile of remotes to deal with.  (No, I don't
>like those universal remotes.)
>
>Now, I have a working knowledge of electronics, and I'd done quite a few
>projects, but I know little about the codes used by remote controls.  (I knew
>that they tended to be 40kHz, but that's about it.)  Anyway, what is the
>feasability of sampling these codes using basically a phototransistor
>hooked to some input (say a digital joystick port or parallel port)?

I humbly suggest that you ftp to mrcnext.cso.uiuc.edu and download zapper.*
from the /video directory. ZAPPER is an article which describes in detail
precisely the project you're talking about.

Have fun!

--
Scott Coleman                                                      tmkk@uiuc.edu

"Unisys has demonstrated the power of two. That's their stock price today."
       - Scott McNealy on the history of mergers in the computer industry.