[net.auto] Red Cars and Rabbit going fast

faigin@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Daniel Faigin) (05/02/85)

[Can you spell C H I L D]

In article <2579@tekig.UUCP> david@tekig.UUCP (David Hayes) writes:
>to the freeway, I look over and see some asshole in a rabbit
>driving at least 55 mph, ONE FOOT or closer to the rear
>bumper of a Volvo.

Actually, I have begun to notice a correlation between the color
or make of a car and the driving habits of the owner. For
examples, the "children"* tend to drive red cars, usually
Rabbit/GTI convertables or the little BMW's (530i's, I think).
The "slowpokes" tend to drive large American cars [can you spell
tank].

[*: Children (n): A type of driver who does absolutly idiotic
things on the road, like attempting to do 15 mph faster than
everyone else by darting in and out of lanes. The great gods of
the highway will get them someday]

Has anyone else noticed this correlation??

Daniel
--
UUCP: {akgua allegra ihnp4 hplabs sdcsvax trwrb cbosgd}!sdcrdcf!faigin
ARPA: sdcrdcf!faigin@UCLA-CS.ARPA

W: SDC, 2500 Colorado MD 52-46; Santa Monica CA 90406; (213) 820-4111 x6493
H: 11743 Darlington Avenue #9; Los Angeles CA 90049; (213) 826-3357

It is easier to change the specification to fit the program than
vice-versa.              -- A. J. Perlis, SIGPLAN 17:9 Sept 1982

jayt@ssc-vax.UUCP (Jay T McCanta) (05/06/85)

> Actually, I have begun to notice a correlation between the color
> or make of a car and the driving habits of the owner. For
> examples, the "children"* tend to drive red cars, usually
> Rabbit/GTI convertables or the little BMW's (530i's, I think).
> The "slowpokes" tend to drive large American cars [can you spell
> tank].

Yes, the insurance companies have; it costs more to insure a red car.

     I HATE CENTRAL EXPRESSWAY ...
                                 ... and I live in Seattle.
Jay T. McCanta
Boeing Aerospace     These ideas are mine and I claim them.
Kent, Wa.            My employer may not want to share in claiming.

{uw-beaver|adiron|cesonix|argus|purdue}!ssc-vax!jayt

rastaman@ihdev.UUCP (Biding my time) (05/07/85)

> Yes, the insurance companies have; it costs more to insure a red car.
>
> Jay T. McCanta

Say what?  Which firm(s) are you talking about here?  And what is your
source?

ihnp4!ihdev!rastaman
(I drive a red car, but it's a Ford so I *can't* speed.)

tron@fluke.UUCP (Peter Barbee) (05/07/85)

>Yes, the insurance companies have; it costs more to insure a red car.

I'm surprised at this one, about a year ago I needed to get a new insurance
agent (my then current compny declined the privelege of continuing to insure
me). So I really hunted around - trying to optimize price for the following
conditions; 30 years old, male, mediocre poor driving record, red Alfa Romeo.

I found that how companies rated my driving record to be nearly universal, but
how they rated the car varied greatly.  This car is a 2 door sedan (by strict
definition of the difference between a sedan and a coupe) with a pretty average
power to weight ratio.  It is red and it is gorgeous (please allow
subjectivity) - it very much looks the part of a high performance sports car
but in reality it isn't, especially in the "go" department.

Anyway, 3 companies gave it extra points (because of high yearly average
repairs) and 4 companies gave it the same rating they gave my Dasher wagon.
It appears the two things the companies cared about were power to weight
ratio and yearly average repair costs.  One agent let me look at his listings
and he had a listing for each catagory.  It was fairly interesting - the
repair costs listing was broken down into average number of claims and cost
of claims for every model of car you can think of - if I recall correctly
it was the Chevy Monte Carlo that led the "number of claims" sweepstakes,
I don't remember which car was the overall leader.

By the way, 4 of the companies never asked me what color the car is, and the
agent who I did insure with was very surprised at the rating the car got
after he got a look at it.

Shop around,
Peter B

daw1@rduxb.UUCP (WILLIAMS) (05/08/85)

> > ... the "children"* tend to drive red cars, usually ...
> >

> Yes, the insurance companies have; it costs more to insure a red car.

	Sure, bud! How come I've never been asked what color my car is
when I applied for insurance? You've probably been reading Psychology
Today a little too often on this bus ride to work!
	If red cars cost more to insure, then it's probably because
they get tailgated by 18-wheelers more often than other colors :~)

					Doug Williams
					AT&T Bell Labs
					Reading, PA
					rduxb!daw1

hkr4627@acf4.UUCP (Hedley K. J. Rainnie) (05/08/85)

Yes.  I call it piston-envy.  Things with four cylinders tend to be more
aggressive on the highway than sense would dictate.

Speed Racer

lizv@tektools.UUCP (Liz Vaughan) (05/11/85)

>Actually, I have begun to notice a correlation between the color
>or make of a car and the driving habits of the owner. For
>examples, the "children"* tend to drive red cars, usually
>Rabbit/GTI convertables or the little BMW's (530i's, I think).

Some insurance companies give you "danger" points (or whatever they call
them) for driving a red car.  Black is also frowned upon, but not
as badly -- I suppose they figure Joe can't hot-rod TOO much in
the old Model T.  As a red car owner, this sucks, but I
must admit that observation seems to support giving red-car drivers
higher risk ratings.  (Maybe the color affects the mind :-)

A related topic is insurance company notions of "sportscars."
Insurance for my Scirrocco is ~$100 more than that for a Rabbit
same year, same color. Why? It's a SPORTS CAR.  The two cars
have identical engines and gearing, though the Scirocco is
slightly (~200 lbs.) lighter.  You figure this out.

>The "slowpokes" tend to drive large American cars [can you spell
>tank].

What? You've never heard of the "Society for Old Men Wearing Hats
Driving Ancient Oldsmobiles at Twenty MPH on the Freeway Whilst
Arguing with their Wives Named Madge"?

This venerable institution has chapters in every hamlet in America --
and its numbers are growing.....

I don't need a disclaimer;
no one will take me seriously anyway

tektronix!tektools!lizv

review@drutx.UUCP (MillhamBD) (05/13/85)

> A related topic is insurance company notions of "sportscars."
> Insurance for my Scirrocco is ~$100 more than that for a Rabbit
> same year, same color. Why? It's a SPORTS CAR.  The two cars
> have identical engines and gearing, though the Scirocco is
> slightly (~200 lbs.) lighter.  You figure this out.

My Laser XE Turbo is NOT a sports car. Why? Because Farmers
Insurance goes by engine size, and everyone knows that a 2.2L engine
can't go fast. This is information passed on to me from my agent.
Since he's a friend, he may have got my car put through as a non
turbo. He never told me a real good reason why it's not a sports
car, and I'll leave well enough alone.

Brian Millham
AT & T Information Systems
Denver, Co.

...!inhp4!drutx!review

et@bmcg.UUCP (Eric Thune) (05/15/85)

> My Laser XE Turbo is NOT a sports car. Why? Because Farmers
> Insurance goes by engine size, and everyone knows that a 2.2L engine
> can't go fast. This is information passed on to me from my agent.
> Since he's a friend, he may have got my car put through as a non
> turbo. He never told me a real good reason why it's not a sports
> car, and I'll leave well enough alone.

> Brian Millham
> AT & T Information Systems
> Denver, Co.
>
> ...!inhp4!drutx!review

	This cannot be true. I own a 1984 Mazda RX-7 GSL-SE and
WAS insured by farmers. It has a 1.3 liter engine and is in their
high preformance sports car group. A standard RX-7 has a 1.1 liter
engine and is in their sports car group. Now tell me they go by engine
size. True these are rotary engines and generate alot more HP / liter
than conventional piston engines, but do they know that ?

					Eric Thune
					Burroughs Advanced Systems Group