[net.followup] escorting women home

graham@shark.UUCP (Graham Bromley) (06/17/85)

> another woman do the job, isn't she putting her female escort in danger?
> 	Once woman B escorts woman A home, who the heck is going to escort
> woman B from A's house back to her own house?
>
> Peter Thaggard
> seismo!umcp-cs!cal-unix!ptseg

Maybe lady B carries a Walther PPK or Beretta in her purse,
and knows how to use it.

sophie@mnetor.UUCP (Sophie Quigley) (06/18/85)

> If a woman lets
> another woman do the job, isn't she putting her female escort in danger?
> 	Once woman B escorts woman A home, who the heck is going to escort
> woman B from A's house back to her own house?
>
> Peter Thaggard

In my undergrad days, my best friend and I used to study together quite
late at night:  usually nobody else was awake when we were finished.
We were both very scared for our own and the other person's safety, so
what we used to do is escort each other to the halfway point between
her home, and my home, say goodbye, and then RUN like crazy to our own
homes.  We lived one streeet away from each other, which helped.

Granted, this was a bit silly, but at least we were a bit safer (after
all, if one got attacked, the other would probably be close enough to
hear it) and we certainly did feel much safer.  This could have been
improved by calling each other up afterwards to check that everything
was ok, but she didn't have a phone.  It was also nice to share the
danger this way (I certainly never resented it when she was studying
at my home and I had to get out even though I could have stayed safely
inside).  After all, isn't that what friendship is all about, caring
enough to face pleasant and unpleasant things together?
--
Sophie Quigley
{allegra|decvax|ihnp4|linus|watmath}!utzoo!mnetor!sophie

In article <664@cal-unix> ptseg@cal-uni.UUCP (Peter Thaggard) writes:
>If a woman refuses to let a man escort her home, and only lets
>another woman do the job, isn't she putting her female escort in danger?
>	Once woman B escorts woman A home, who the heck is going to escort
>woman B from A's house back to her own house?

If a man, wouldn't she be putting  h i m  in danger?  Who will escort
him?

I missed the first part of this discussion ... but if it's about a
woman being afraid of letting a man escort her home -- everybody
should have some folk both of the same and of the opposite sex that
they should trust, and even not even THINK of which sex they are, as
far as that goes.  Maybe I've missed the point entirely, but I've
heard enough discussions of similar things in the last NN years
that it gets annoying, to see how trivial folk can get.
--

	Joe Yao		hadron!jsdy@seismo.{ARPA,UUCP}