[net.auto] Road Hogs/You go to Chuck Norris, and Revenge of the Nerds Movies.

xavier@ut-ngp.UUCP ( Xavier) (05/14/85)

     In article <305@im4u.UUCP> jsq@ut-sally.UUCP (John Quarterman) writes:

] In article <1866@ut-sally.UUCP> david@ut-sally.UUCP (David R. Kuykendall) writes:
] >The opinions expressed here are mine, and should not be confused with the
] >          Hitler Youths at U.T.-Sally who want to censor me.
]
] To properly appreciate Herr Kuykendall's unintended irony, you must know
] that, since he was elected as president of the local student ACM chapter
] last year, he has since neglected to hold further elections, having evidently
] appointed himself president-for-life.  It takes no particular perception
] to see, however, that he can't even spell the name of the machine he's using.

I hope the Computer Science department at Univ. of Texas (which is the proud
owner of ut-sally) is proud to let a "research machine" (looking at the vol-
ume of "net" mail, it should be called a Usenet machine :-]) be a place for
undergrads (like the ACM wonderbug david@ut-sally) to romp on Usenet (and
ARPANET) and succeed at Rogue/Hack. Maybe the University of Texas should use
this as a lure for prospective students:  Come to UT, become an ACM student
officer, and presto the Computer Science department will award you a chance to
"study" the effects of showing immaturity on Usenet and to "discover" the ever
fascinating world of Rogue & Hack on a research machine! :-] That's how UT's
CS dept. will achieve the #1 status that the UT football team has always let
slip through its fingers! :-]

] He must be sic (sic).  :-)

How can you say that when you were one who "created" david@ut-sally?

            From the "signature" (scribble?) of david@ut-sally:

] pppppps: I'll put somthing witty here later.

No, please don't put anything here and on Usenet.

] ppppppps: Go to ps. (* I had to do that in honor of Dijkstra *)

Using Dr. Dijkstra's name does not earn you any respect and trying to associate
his name with yours will only help to damage Dr. Dijkstra's honor.

naren@ut-sally.UUCP (Narendran Nachiappan) (05/14/85)

>      In article <305@im4u.UUCP> jsq@ut-sally.UUCP (John Quarterman) writes:
>
> ] In article <1866@ut-sally.UUCP> david@ut-sally.UUCP (David R. Kuykendall) writes:
> ] >The opinions expressed here are mine, and should not be confused with the
> ] >          Hitler Youths at U.T.-Sally who want to censor me.
> ]
> ] To properly appreciate Herr Kuykendall's unintended irony, you must know
> ] that, since he was elected as president of the local student ACM chapter
> ] last year, he has since neglected to hold further elections, having evidently
> ] appointed himself president-for-life.  It takes no particular perception
> ] to see, however, that he can't even spell the name of the machine he's using.
>
> be a place for undergrads (like the ACM wonderbug david@ut-sally)
> to romp on Usenet (and
> ARPANET) and succeed at Rogue/Hack. Maybe the University of Texas should use
> this as a lure for prospective students:  Come to UT, become an ACM student
> officer, and presto the Computer Science department will award you a chance to
> "study" the effects of showing immaturity on Usenet and to "discover" the ever
> fascinating world of Rogue & Hack on a research machine! :-] That's how UT's
> CS dept. will achieve the #1 status that the UT football team has always let
>
> ] He must be sic (sic).  :-)
> How can you say that when you were one who "created" david@ut-sally?
>
> ] ppppppps: Go to ps. (* I had to do that in honor of Dijkstra *)
>
> Using Dr. Dijkstra's name does not earn you any respect and trying to associate
> his name with yours will only help to damage Dr. Dijkstra's honor.

	Xavier, I think that your article was in extremely bad taste (in
spite of all the ':-]' sprinkled liberally in your article). I would like
to tell the 'netland' as a whole that we at the University of Texas at Austin
do not share the opinions expressed by xavier@ut-ngp, that we are perfectly
willing to share the resources of the department with sufficiently motivated
and talented people regardless of their academic classification (undergrad, grad
special..) and that I personally think that the opinions expressed by xavier@ngp
are symptomatic of a deep-rooted Freudian complex against the ACM at UT and
undergraduates in general.

						Narendran Nachiappan
						[SHIELD agent 111]
{seismo, ctvax, ihnp4}!ut-sally!naren, naren@ut-sally.{ARPA, UUCP}
*Supreme Headquarters International Espionage Law-Enforcement Division

nawaf@ut-sally.UUCP (Nawaf Bitar) (05/14/85)

>      In article <305@im4u.UUCP> jsq@ut-sally.UUCP (John Quarterman) writes:
>
> ] In article <1866@ut-sally.UUCP> david@ut-sally.UUCP (David R. Kuykendall) writes:
> ] >The opinions expressed here are mine, and should not be confused with the
> ] >          Hitler Youths at U.T.-Sally who want to censor me.
> ]
> ] To properly appreciate Herr Kuykendall's unintended irony, you must know
> ] that, since he was elected as president of the local student ACM chapter
> ] last year, he has since neglected to hold further elections, having evidently
> ] appointed himself president-for-life.  It takes no particular perception
> ] to see, however, that he can't even spell the name of the machine he's using.
>
> I hope the Computer Science department at Univ. of Texas (which is the proud
> owner of ut-sally) is proud to let a "research machine" (looking at the vol-
> ume of "net" mail, it should be called a Usenet machine :-]) be a place for
> undergrads (like the ACM wonderbug david@ut-sally) to romp on Usenet (and
> ARPANET) and succeed at Rogue/Hack. Maybe the University of Texas should use
> this as a lure for prospective students:  Come to UT, become an ACM student
> officer, and presto the Computer Science department will award you a chance to
> "study" the effects of showing immaturity on Usenet and to "discover" the ever
> fascinating world of Rogue & Hack on a research machine! :-] That's how UT's
> CS dept. will achieve the #1 status that the UT football team has always let
> slip through its fingers! :-]
>
> ] He must be sic (sic).  :-)
>
> How can you say that when you were one who "created" david@ut-sally?
>
>   - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>
>             From the "signature" (scribble?) of david@ut-sally:
>
> ] pppppps: I'll put somthing witty here later.
>
> No, please don't put anything here and on Usenet.
>
> ] ppppppps: Go to ps. (* I had to do that in honor of Dijkstra *)
>
> Using Dr. Dijkstra's name does not earn you any respect and trying to associate
> his name with yours will only help to damage Dr. Dijkstra's honor.

Xavier,

   Why don't you pull your head out from under your arse and consider what
you have just said.  For one thing you will be rather surprised to know
that not only do undergrads play rogue/hack but so do a large number of
grad students and faculty.  Furthermore, your article indicates disrespect
for acm members and undergraduate students in general.  If you want to address
an issue perhaps it is worth your while to ensure that you are insulting cum
flaming who you intended to.  I wonder what the real reason behind the posting
of you article is ?!?

--

                    Nawaf "duck" Bitar

                        _
                      /o \         ''
                    ==    \_______//
                       \   >>>>   /
   ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~\________/~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

   ARPA: nawaf@ut-sally.ARPA      USENET: {ihnp4,ctvax,seismo}!ut-sally!nawaf

debray@sbcs.UUCP (Saumya Debray) (05/16/85)

The time has come, methinks, to move this discussion exclusively to
net.flame.
--
Saumya Debray
SUNY at Stony Brook

	uucp: {allegra, hocsd, philabs, ogcvax} !sbcs!debray
	arpa: debray%suny-sb.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa
	CSNet: debray@sbcs.csnet