[comp.archives] [fonts...] Re: mf2ps

dhosek@euler.claremont.edu (Don Hosek) (03/03/91)

Archive-name: tex/metafont/mf2ps/1991-03-02
Archive: shemp.cs.ucla.edu:/pub/mf2ps.tar.Z [131.179.128.34]
Reposted-by: emv@ox.com (Edward Vielmetti)

In article <521@spam.ua.oz>, lhume@spam.ua.oz (Leigh Hume) writes:
> I've not heard of mf2ps before. Does it do a metafont .gf or .pk to postscript
> conversion? If so how good is it and where can I get it by ftp or whatever
> means.  I've been told this conversion is possible and guessing that the
> results will take up considerably less disk space than even the pk form.
> What type of Adobe font does it produce type 1 or 3. Blue Sky, the Textures
> people seem to be working on a type 1 adobe postscript versions of the CM
> fonts.

mf2ps is a modified version of MF (Unix Pascal(!)) which outputs
Type 3 PostScript outline fonts. (Outputting Type 1 Fonts with
hints would have taken more foresight than was present in the
creation of CM, at least). A full write-up, adapted from the
author's Masters Thesis appears in TUGboat 11#4. You can order
back issues of TUGboat or get information about joining the TeX
Users Group by writing to
  TeX Users Group
  P.O. Box 9506
  Providence, RI 02940-9506
  401-751-7760
  tug@math.ams.com

MF2PS is available from ymir.claremont.edu in
[anonymous.tex.utilities.mf2ps]

-dh

---
Don Hosek   To retrieve files from ymir via the    | dhosek@ymir.claremont.edu
            mailserver, send a message to          | Quixote TeX Consulting
            mailserv@ymir.claremont.edu with a     | 714-625-0147
            line saying send [DIRECTORY]FILENAME
            where DIRECTORY is the FTP directory (sans "anonymous") and
            FILENAME is the filename, e.g. "send [tex]00readme.txt". There is
            a list of files in each directory under the name 00files.txt
            Binary files are not available by this technique.