[comp.archives] [emacs] Re: query-replace across several files?

gamin@ireq-robot.hydro.qc.ca (Martin Boyer) (03/03/91)

Archive-name: emacs/elisp/emacs-global-replace/1991-03-02
Archive: ireq-robot.hydro.qc.ca:/pub/emacs/lisp/global-replace.el.Z [131.195.20.131]
Reposted-by: emv@ox.com (Edward Vielmetti)

In article <PARTAIN.91Feb28150027@tegua.cs.glasgow.ac.uk> partain@cs.glasgow.ac.uk (Will Partain) writes:
>Does someone have elisp code to do
>query-replace-across-all-the-files-mentioned-in-my-*compilation*-buffer?

This is getting to be a "frequently-asked-question"!

There are at least two ways to do this:

 - The tags library includes tags-query-replace that will do a
   query-replace across all the files mentioned in the TAGS file

 - My global-replace will do the same on all the lines mentioned in
   the *compilation* buffer, usually after doing a 'grep'.

tags-query-replace is standard in the distribution.

global-replace is available by anonymous ftp from ireq-robot.hydro.qc.ca.
You'll need /pub/emacs/lisp/{compile,global-replace,query}.el.Z.
Eventually, I should make that stuff available through the LCD archive at
tut.cis.ohio-state.edu but I'm leaving for a ski vacation in Utah this
afternoon, so don't hold your breath.

--
Martin Boyer                            mboyer@ireq-robot.hydro.qc.ca
Institut de recherche d'Hydro-Quebec    mboyer@ireq-robot.uucp