[comp.archives] [sun] Re: Dumping active filesystems

pln@egret1.stanford.edu (Patrick L. Nolan) (03/04/91)

Archive-name: unix/dump/purdue-dump-diffs/1991-02-25
Archive: titan.rice.edu:/sun-source/dump-diffs.shar [128.42.1.30]
Reposted-by: emv@ox.com (Edward Vielmetti)

pln@egret1.stanford.edu (Patrick L. Nolan) writes:

>verber@pacific.mps.ohio-state.edu (Mark Verber) writes:

>>Nope... SunOS 4.1 doesn't have the purdue hacks to support active
>>dumps.  I understand that the dump that will appear with BSD 4.4 will
>>have all of the features that the SunOS dump has, at which point you
>>could drop in the purdue (active filesystem) hacks.

>>--mark

>This sounds interesting.  What are the purdue hacks, and are they
>available on the net?
>--

I'll followup myself.  Lance Jones (vzv@mentor.cc.purdue.edu)
told me that the "hacks" are available from titan.rice.edu, in
the file sun-source/dump-diffs.shar.  Unfortunately this contains
only diffs for the 4.3BSD dump source code.  This raises a new
question:  Is the source code available to the public, or is
it restricted by AT&T copyright?  I've checked uunet.uu.net and
wuarchive.wustl.edu, and neither of them has source code for dump.
--
*   Patrick L. Nolan            (415)723-0133                 *
*   W. W. Hansen Experimental Physics Laboratory (HEPL)       *