[comp.archives] [lisp] Re: parallel lisp

dourish@EuroPARC.Xerox.COM (Paul Dourish) (03/06/91)

Archive-name: languages/lisp/eulisp/1991-03-05
Reposted-by: emv@ox.com (Edward Vielmetti)

In article <8861@castle.ed.ac.uk>, elee63@castle.ed.ac.uk (R Hamilton) writes:
> In article <13658@medusa.cs.purdue.edu> yeh@cs.purdue.EDU (Wei Jen Yeh) writes:
> >  Does anyone know of a parallel lisp?  Common lisp flavor is preferred....
> >
> I've been looking for a good //el implementation for while.
> As far as I know there isn't one (I say that in the hope that someone
> will prove me wrong!)
> The nearest I've seen (heard of) was a version of Betz's xlisp
> running on Helios on a transputer array.

Parallel Lisp is a research area (albeit a fairly active one). By that
I mean that, while it's an area of considerable interest and work,
it's by no means certain that you're going to find something that will
suit your purposes. However, we can do better than transputer-specific
systems.

Most people working on parallel Lisp address specifically parallel
machines, but there are often implementations which time-share on
serial machines. There are various possible mechanisms for
parallelising Lisp, though, and they differ greatly in approach and
applicability. I'm presuming that the original poster wanted to run a
parallel Lisp on a serial machine.

Thinking Machines have a simulator for *Lisp (as used on the
Connection Machine -- see Danny Hillis' book) which is available for
anonymous ftp. Other interesting contenders are QLisp (Stanford) and
Multilisp (MIT), although last time I looked neither of those were
widely available for serial machines. It would be hard to imagine
three systems which took more different approaches to parallelising
Lisp!

An early implementation of EuLisp, a Lisp dialect whose definition is
currently being worked on by a CEC-sponsored group, incorporates a
thread mechanism, and is freely available (to get a copy, try mailing
eudist@maths.bath.ac.uk). It's not entirely Common Lisp-like; whether
this is a good or bad thing is a matter of debate.

For Rob Hamilton, my own contribution is in the building next door (a
Linda-based parallel Lisp running on the Edinburgh Concurrent
Supercomputer)!

                                                  -- Paul.
--
Paul Dourish, Rank Xerox EuroPARC, Cambridge, UK   <dourish@europarc.xerox.com>

          "Ain't they got no barbers where you come from, boy?"