[net.auto] n.y. directional signals

mroddy@enmasse.UUCP (Mark Roddy) (05/17/85)

well, after many years of driving in new york city, I can inform the
net authoritatively that directional signals in the city are used
not to signal that your vehicle is turning, no, they are used
to signal other cars to speed up and close ranks in order to keep
your vehicle in its current lane.
--
						Mark Roddy
						Net working,

					(harvard!talcott!panda!enmasse!mroddy)

gordon@cae780.UUCP (Brian Gordon) (05/18/85)

In article <405@enmasse.UUCP> mroddy@enmasse.UUCP (Mark Roddy) writes:
>well, after many years of driving in new york city, I can inform the
>net authoritatively that directional signals in the city are used
>not to signal that your vehicle is turning, no, they are used
>to signal other cars to speed up and close ranks in order to keep
>your vehicle in its current lane.

That is different from Philadelphia, where I grew up.  There, the signal was
for the other drivers, but the message was "Cover your a**, I'm about to
move into your lane whetehr you like it or not".  Once you got used to both
giving and receiving that message, it seemed to work quite well :-)

FROM:   Brian G. Gordon, CAE Systems
UUCP:   {ihnp4, decvax!decwrl}!amd!cae780!gordon
        {nsc, resonex, qubix, hplabs, leadsv, teklds}!cae780!gordon