[comp.archives] [next] Re: XNeXT on NextStep 2.0?????

howie@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Howie Kaye) (03/12/91)

Archive-name: x11/servers/x11r4-next-v2/1991-03-10
Archive-directory: cunixf.cc.columbia.edu:/Xnext/ [128.59.40.130]
Reposted-by: emv@ox.com (Edward Vielmetti)

In article <1991Mar7.195211.29685@athena.mit.edu> shanega@athena.mit.edu (Shane G. Artis) writes:
>I heard that somebody had fixed mouse-X (from McGill) to work under 2.0, and
>that the diffs were posted somewhere.  Could somebody build the thing
>and post the server binaries?  I have a modem and there is no way I
>can modem to an internet site, download 30+Meg of code and build it on my
>machine, so having server and clients all built and at an FTP site makes
>everything a billion times nicer.  Can someone do this for those of us
>without direct internet access?
>
>Shane

Ask and ye shall recieve.  I fixed mouse-X a while ago and sent the
diffs back to McGill, but since they don't seem to be available for
anonymous ftp yet there, i've put them up.

They are on cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (128.59.40.130) as X11R4-Next-2.0.tar.Z

I don't know if they are completely in synch with McGill yet, and have
had a couple of minor reports about it (like the shifted top row of
the new keyboard's keypad aren't supported).  Please report other
problems as you find them.

Howie Kaye				howie@columbia.edu
Columbia University 			hlkcu@cuvma.bitnet
UNIX Systems Group			...!rutgers!columbia!howie

mouse@thunder.mcrcim.mcgill.edu (der Mouse) (03/12/91)

In article <1991Mar10.000354.15364@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu>, howie@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Howie Kaye) writes:
> In article <1991Mar7.195211.29685@athena.mit.edu> shanega@athena.mit.edu (Shane G. Artis) writes:
>> I heard that somebody had fixed mouse-X (from McGill) to work under
>> 2.0,
> Ask and ye shall recieve.  I fixed mouse-X a while ago and sent the
> diffs back to McGill,

Quite right.  Thanks much, Howie.

> but since they don't seem to be available for anonymous ftp yet
> there, i've put them up.

> They are on cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (128.59.40.130) as
> X11R4-Next-2.0.tar.Z

Good.

> I don't know if they are completely in synch with McGill yet,

Hint: they aren't.  The McGill distribution has some 2.0 support in it,
but it is probably not as good as what Howie has on cunixf, at present,
so get his, not mine, for now.  Once this slab I have in my office gets
access to some disk space, I'll clean things up and wrap it all up into
a neat package with a nice bow on top :-)

> and have had a couple of minor reports about it (like the shifted top
> row of the new keyboard's keypad aren't supported).

Any idea how to find out what sort of keyboard is in use?  It's just a
matter of xmodmap to fix this, but it *should* be dealt with
automatically - and if I can sense the keyboard type, it will be.

					der Mouse

			old: mcgill-vision!mouse
			new: mouse@larry.mcrcim.mcgill.edu