[comp.archives] [minix] Re: Amoeba Availability for Minix?

ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) (03/18/91)

Archive-name: os/research/amoeba/1991-03-15
Archive-directory: ftp.cs.vu.nl:/pub/amoeba/ [192.31.231.42]
Reposted-by: emv@msen.com (Edward Vielmetti, MSEN)

In article <1991Mar14.133523.45833@vaxb.acs.unt.edu> kenc@vaxb.acs.unt.edu writes:
>What's this rumor that Amoeba is being ported?  I've references to it twice
>today, and it's got me REAL curious.
>  I thought that Amoeba was a generic distributed processing-type environment.

Amoeba is a standalone distributed operating system.  It does not work with,
under, over, or in any way with other operating systems.  It is designed at
making a collection of, say, 50 high-end workstations, each with at least
4M, and one of which has at least 16M, into a single transparent system.
It is the opposite end of the spectrum from MINIX.  There is no way Amoeba
will ever run on anything tiny, like a single 4M Atari.  A minimum useful
configuration would be 5 Sun-3s, four of which have 4M and one of which has
16M.  A 200M disk would be nice.

For more about Amoeba, ftp to ftp.cs.vu.nl and look in pub/amoeba.  There
is a READ_ME file there that describes about 1000 pages of material on
Amoeba that is located there for FTPing.

A first beta tape of Amoeba will be available real soon now.

Amoeba is copyrighted software, like MINIX, but will be available to
universities for a modest fee, probably 500 ECU (about $700).  It is not
expected that private individuals will have the necessary equipment to run
it.  Amoeba will be available under commercial terms to companies, including
complete support (for a fee, of course).  We are working closely with a
Dutch software company, ACE, which has 15 years experience in the UNIX business.

Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)