[comp.archives] [alt.sex.pictures.d] Re: FTP sites...

rosen@tristar.samsung.com (MFHorn) (03/20/91)

Archive-name: ftp/politics/samsung-nsf-gifs/1991-03-19
Reposted-by: emv@msen.com (Edward Vielmetti, MSEN)

In article <1991Mar19.025528.24214@nemo.nemo.nemo.nemo> nemo@nemo.nemo.nemo.nemo (Nemo) writes:
> Have you ever seen what happens to
> a site after it's advertised as having pictures?  It gets swamped by
> every pinhead ftp'ing in and doing "mget *"  After the network bandwidth
> goes to shit, and the machine crashes a few times, the sys admin takes
> the pictures off.  Or disallows anon ftp.

Not always.  I had about 50 MB of x-rated pictures, and let 20 people
ftp at once.  There was no increase in load average, or in the
collision rate on the subnet the machine is on.

But the National Science Foundation (NSF) has rules regarding how
their network backbone (the NSFnet) is used.  And since almost every
Internet computer in the world crosses the NSFnet backbone to get to
every other Internet computer in the world, _their_ policies were
being violated.  Someone from the NSF gave me a call and said to take
the pictures off or my site would not be allowed access to the NSFnet
(and hence 95% or more of the Internet).

They don't seem to mind 'non-pornographic' pictures.  I've got about
1300 pictures (68 MB) available.  500 - 800 pictures are downloaded
every day.

--
Andy Rosen                | rosen@samsung.com       | "I got this guitar
Samsung Software America  | ...!uunet!samsung!rosen |  and I learned how