[net.auto] Front-end shake, '84 Tempo

friedman@sunybcs.UUCP (Gary E. Friedman) (05/06/85)

My friend is having trouble with his 84 Ford Tempo. It shakes between 55 and
70 MPH (very annoying--shakes the steering column and dashboard too).  Any
ideas?  Thanks in advance.
--

     Gary E. Friedman                  "References available upon request"
     SUNY @ Buffalo

man@bocar.UUCP (M Nevar) (05/07/85)

Front end shake:

I suppose you already checked out the alignment ?

aol2901@acf4.UUCP (adam l) (05/08/85)

 try getting the car tune up, it solved my shake-ups

bhs@siemens.UUCP (05/09/85)

Front end shake:

9 out of 10 times shake = wheel balance. Find a good tire store with
an electronic high speed balancer. These are more accurate than the
conventional bubble - balance system.

Bernard H. Schwab
Siemens RTL, Princeton, NJ

sigma@usl.UUCP (Spiros Triantafyllopoulos) (05/11/85)

In article <1649@sunybcs.UUCP> friedman@sunybcs.UUCP (Gary E. Friedman) writes:
>My friend is having trouble with his 84 Ford Tempo. It shakes between 55 and
>70 MPH (very annoying--shakes the steering column and dashboard too).  Any
>ideas?  Thanks in advance.
>--

I have the same problem (actually a much augmented version) where depending
on the road conditions (i.e., assymetric bumps or holes affecting 1 side
only), the entire vehicle will SHAKE until I speed down to 20-30 mph.
It only happens, as I said, only after one wheel hits something. The
entire car will shake, along with the steering column. After slow down,
it will return to normal. If the road is free of bumps, it does not
have any problem. I have a 1972 Toyota Corolla (argh). I would
imagine it needs alignment, but, have not got it to a shop lately..
Any comments will be appreciated.

Spiros /* dum Spiro Spero */            ...!ut-sally!usl!sigma

chas@ihuxe.UUCP (Charles Lambert) (05/16/85)

> It only happens, as I said, only after one wheel hits something. The
> entire car will shake, along with the steering column. After slow down,
> it will return to normal.

Sounds like the shocks (dampers? substitute correct domestic terminology)
are shot.  The symptoms suggest that hitting a bump is setting up a
resonance that the speed of wheel-rotation is maintaining. The dampers
should control this. I'd expect the dampers on a '72 Corolla to be long
gone.

Charlie @ the Death Star, IL.

clewis@mnetor.UUCP (Chris Lewis) (05/22/85)

In article <1136@ihuxe.UUCP> chas@ihuxe.UUCP (Charles Lambert) writes:
>> It only happens, as I said, only after one wheel hits something. The
>> entire car will shake, along with the steering column. After slow down,
>> it will return to normal.
>
>Sounds like the shocks (dampers? substitute correct domestic terminology)
>are shot.  The symptoms suggest that hitting a bump is setting up a
>resonance that the speed of wheel-rotation is maintaining. The dampers
>should control this. I'd expect the dampers on a '72 Corolla to be long
>gone.

Another (expensive) possibilty: GM front wheel drive cars (particularly
early "X" body) exhibit this behaviour when the transaxle bushings get
worn (My father just replaced the durn things on a '80 Citation).  The
way to tell is to take hold of the axle just before the constant
velocity joint and see if there is any slop in the axle w.r.t. the
transaxle.  There shouldn't be any at all.  If in doubt, have a mechanic
inspect it.

There was an extended warrantee on 80/81 X body cars for this reason.
Apparently they now sell an add-on strut to contain another set of
bearings/bushings to support the outboard end of the axle stub.

On GM cars replacing these bushings normally requires the transaxle
being removed (about $500 CDN +) and partially disassembled along
with disassembly of the front suspension.  Not nice at all.  My
father was lucky - he was able to tear them out without removing
the transaxle.  Only took us two weeks to do...
--
Chris Lewis,
UUCP: {allegra, linus, ihnp4}!utzoo!mnetor!clewis