Date:    Wed, 20 Mar 1991 12:30:12 EST
From:    ANDREWS@CPWSCA.PSC.EDU (Phil)
Subject: RE: HDF vs CGM
To:      NUUJA@a.psc.edu, WELLING@SEURAT.PSC.EDU

At the Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center we have been using CGM
successfully for movie sequences of all possible lengths for several
years now. In fact all of our two-dimensional graphics is in CGM
format. We view CGM files with our locally developed CGM interpreter,
GPLOT which is freely available via anonymous FTP, as are libraries
for the production of CGM files.

The present official release of GPLOT (4.3) runs on UNIX (including
UNICOS) and VMS and supports many output devices and two animation
controllers: the pc-based Diaquest and the SONY LVR video disk
recorder. A new version, in beta test now, is written in C++ and
runs on UNIX and MAC systems, the UNIX version supporting animations
on X-servers via a MOTIF interface.  We hope to release a PC
windows-based system in a few months and would much prefer that
publicly available image sequences be in CGM format rather than HDF.

Although both source and binaries are available via anonymus ftp we
prefer that you first send mail to Anjana Kar (kar@psc.edu) for
instructions and addition to our mailing list.

-Phil Andrews (andrews@psc.edu)