[comp.archives] [mud] Re: sockets core

mjr@hussar.dco.dec.com (Marcus J. Ranum) (03/28/91)

Archive-name: games/mud/untermud/1991-03-27
Archive: decuac.dec.com:/pub/umud.tar.Z [192.5.214.1]
Reposted-by: emv@msen.com (Edward Vielmetti, MSEN)

scheidel@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Wanderer) writes:
>Recently someone posted that they had put together (or stripped down from other
>source) the 'core' of the socket routines... is this around somewhere or did I
>just imagine that posting?

	I'd suggest looking at the UnterMUD network layer - it shares
no data structures with anything outside itself - you just write a
call to initialize it, then a loop that calls it repeatedly. It hands
input off a line-at-a-time to some routine (whatever you like).
	You'd need to modify a few things, but it's pretty complete, and
there's even a plug-compatible VMS/multinet  network layer, if you want
your MUD to be VMSable, too.
	The whole source is FTPable out of decuac.dec.com, in ftp/pub,
and the routines are named net_bsd.c and net_vms.c

mjr.