[net.auto] MG engine improvements/swap?

bae@fisher.UUCP (Shiva the Destroyer) (05/24/85)

    After much feedback from the net, I have gone ahead and purchased
a '67 MGB.  I would like to hype up the car from the 96 bhp engine
which is currently in it.  I am aware that it is possible to boost the
output of this engine to around 150 bhp without resorting to turbocharging,
but this is my understanding based on old (circa 1972) information.  Does
anyone have any more current info on hyping this engine?

    Failing the ability to raise the output much over 150 bhp, I am considering
swapping engines.  I am thinking of installing any one of the following
engines, assuming I can locate one:

        3.528l aluminum V-8, producing 137hp stock, used in 1973-1976
            MGB GT V-8 model and the TR-8's.  This is the Buick engine
            Rover bought up.  I assume this can be souped up a sufficient
            amount.

        Chevy 327, normally aspirated.  Produces ~340bhp, without serious
            modifications.  The only defect to this is that 327's are very
            expensive these days.

        Ford 289 Hi-Po, with Shelby mods, from Mustang G.T. 350.  Produces
            sufficient hp.  Again,  quite expensive.

    From what I have read, the MG certainly has the frame strength to deal
with at least 200-300hp without bending into a pretzel.  I hope....

    If anyone has any information on installing any of these engines in
the MG, or on the probable location of one of these engines up for sale,
please let me know.

    Thanks,

--
                    Brian A. Ehrmantraut

					Ad Maioram Gloriam Hasturi!

UUCP:   {allegra, astrovax, princeton, twg} !fisher!bae
BELL:   (609) 452-8991 / (609) 734-7761
USnail: 184 Little Hall, Princeton University, Princeton, NJ 08544

djl@fisher.UUCP (Dan Levin N6BZA ) (05/24/85)

>     After much feedback from the net, I have gone ahead and purchased
> a '67 MGB.  I would like to hype up the car from the 96 bhp engine
> which is currently in it.
>
>    Failing the ability to raise the output much over 150 bhp, I am considering
> swapping engines.

Wow, how much is enough one must wonder?  What does an MGB weigh, 2100 lbs?
How about just a plain simple blue-printed 350 ci. short block.  Should
put out ~250 bhp without problem, more with a good manifold and 4bbl.
Cheap, (~$1100 last time I looked, pick up the rest of the drive train
at any junk yard), and it will go forever.

--
			***dan

{allegra,astrovax,princeton,twg}!fisher!djl
The misplaced (You call *that* a ski slope??) Californian

leiby@masscomp.UUCP (Mike Leibensperger) (05/24/85)

In article <625@fisher.UUCP> bae@fisher.UUCP (Shiva the Destroyer) writes:
>    After much feedback from the net, I have gone ahead and purchased
>a '67 MGB....  Failing the ability to raise the output much over 150 bhp,
>I am considering swapping engines.  I am thinking of installing any one
>of the following... [list of various US and British engines here].

I'm just one of those schmoes who changes their oil every 5K miles whether
it needs it or not.  I've always held a secret envy for folks who could
climb right in their with a screwdriver and swap an engine, etc.  Just
out of shear curiosity, I wonder if somebody could answer a few queries:

1.  Isn't it difficult making an engine fit into a powertrain that was
	never designed for it?  Do you folks have to machine your own
	custom engine mounts or what?

2.  What in general are the steps in performing such major surgery, and
	how much special equipment is needed?  Seems like every new
	combination would be a completely different kind of job-- what
	are the heuristics you generally follow?

3.  How did y'all get started in this business, anyhow?

Thanks for satisfying my curiosity,

	Right Reverend Mike (a.k.a. Mr. Boguswrench)
--
Rt. Rev. Mike Leibensperger, Archbishop of Chelmsford
Church of St. Clint the Righteous  ("Feel lucky, Pink Boy?")