[comp.archives] [comp.mail.headers] Re: Header stripper

romain@pyramid.pyramid.com (Romain Kang) (04/05/91)

Archive-name: mail/readers/motf/1991-04-02
Archive: citi.umich.edu:/pub/honey/motf.Z [141.211.128.16]
Reposted-by: emv@msen.com (Edward Vielmetti, MSEN)

Peter Honeyman's old motf ("mailer of the future"), which was basically
a cleaned up and enhanced BSD Mail, stripped the "ignored" headers
before saving the message to the files.  It didn't have a visual
interface like elm, but I still use it.  I don't think it's been
revised since around 1986 (when Peter started to play with Macs), but
it might still be available for anonymous ftp on citi.umich.edu.

paul@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu (Paul Pomes - UofIllinois CSO) (04/05/91)

Archive-name: mail/readers/thdr/0--
Archive-directory: uxc.cso.uiuc.edu:/utils/thdr/ [128.174.5.50]

mjo@irie.ais.org (Mike O'Connor) writes:

>Sorry...  poor choice of words in my initial post.  I not only don't
>want to SEE the headers, but I also don't want to KEEP the headers.  I
>use elm, and find that I am making large folders that are half
>headers!  I would like some automagic way of stripping those headers.

Some time back I wrote the thdr filter to do just that for mail messages
inbound to notesfiles.  It uses the regexp package (every program should
be a learning experience).  Now for the incantation:

It's available via anon-FTP from uxc.cso.uiuc.edu in utils/thdr .

/pbp
--
         Paul Pomes

UUCP: {att,iuvax,uunet}!uiucuxc!paul   Internet, BITNET: paul@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu
US Mail:  UofIllinois, CSO, 1304 W Springfield Ave, Urbana, IL  61801-2910