[comp.archives] [vms...] Re: Problem Linking with GCC

rankin@eql.caltech.edu (Pat Rankin) (04/08/91)

Archive-name: gnu/gcc/gcc-vms/1991--02
Archive: prep.ai.mit.edu:/pub/gnu/gcc-vms.tar.Z [18.71.0.38]
Reposted-by: emv@msen.com (Edward Vielmetti, MSEN)

In newsgroup vmsnet.misc, article <31MAR91175955@eql.caltech.edu>,\
 rankin@eql.caltech.edu (Pat Rankin) writes...
>In newsgroup vmsnet.misc, article <1991Mar31.170125.83@kahuna.asd-yf.wpafb.af.mil>,\
> nieland_t@kahuna.asd-yf.wpafb.af.mil writes...
>> Someone came to our DECUS LUG meeting asking about a problem with GCC.
>> They are trying to write a DECWindows program and they are compiling the
>> program with GCC.  The program compiles fine, but when they go to link it,
>> it reports lots of unresolved globals.
>> The symbols it is complaining about are XALLOCNAMEDCOLOR_012C00X,
>> XBLACKPIXELOFSCREEN_0A0160X, and others very similar.
>
>     In the VMS version of gas (gnu-as, the assembler used as a backend
>for gcc), any global symbols which are not all lower case and also don't
>contain any dollar signs have a string of hex digits apppended to them.
>Putting that another way, any global symbol which has a dollar sign or
>has no upper case characters will work as expected; others will not.

     Nothing like following up one's own posting. :-}  This bit is from
the maintainer of the VMS port of GNU C, who ask me to post it...
| Date: Tue, 02 Apr 1991 10:58:14 EST
| From: Eric Youngdale <youngdale@v6550c.nrl.navy.mil>
|
|	You can use the /NOCASE_HACK switch with the new compiler driver that
| is now being distributed with gcc-vms.tar.Z compiler binaries. A version of
| the driver itself is available via anonymous ftp from v6550c.nrl.navy.mil
| in a compressed backup save-set.

     So, there's a new version of gcc binaries for VMS (gcc 1.39 and
gas 1.38.1).  It include's Eric Youngdale's improved driver routine,
which has several bug fixes in addition to quite a few new options.
The new distribution also has many C header files which were missing
from the previous ones.  The help file has also been expanded.

     It's available via anonymous FTP from the GNU archives on host
"prep.ai.mit.edu" in directory "pub/gnu" and will presumably be picked
up by the other gnu archive sites if it hasn't already been.  The file
gcc-vms.tar.Z is a compressed tar package (ie, Unix format 'saveset')
which is nearly 2000 VMS blocks and must be transferred as binary data.

     No doubt it will also appear on the L&T and/or VAX SIG collection
tape for the upcoming DECUS symposium.

		Pat Rankin, rankin@eql.caltech.edu