[comp.archives] [postscript] Re: Needed: A Simple Plot Routine

toms@fcs260c2.ncifcrf.gov (Tom Schneider) (04/05/91)

Archive-name: graphics/plotting/xyplo/1991-04-04
Archive: ncifcrf.gov:/pub/delila/xy* [129.43.1.11]
Reposted-by: emv@msen.com (Edward Vielmetti, MSEN)

In article <13962@ccncsu.ColoState.EDU> ah314368@longs.LANCE.ColoState.EDU
(Vincent Huffaker) writes:

>I need to locate a program to generate simple x-y plots (in postscript).

The xyplo program is available by anonymous ftp from ncifcrf.gov in the
directory pub/delila.  Get all the files that begin with 'xy' in binary mode.
One of them is the program in Pascal, another is the same in C.  To compile in
C, you will also need 'p2c.h.Z'.  Example input files are given.  Output is in
PostScript.  Documentation is in the source code.  Questions, problems or
comments?  Email to me.  Also, please tell me what happens if you do try the
program.

  Tom Schneider
  National Cancer Institute
  Laboratory of Mathematical Biology
  Frederick, Maryland  21702-1201
  toms@ncifcrf.gov

composer@chem.bu.edu (Jeff Kellem) (04/08/91)

Archive-name: graphics/plotting/gnuplot/1991-04-06
Archive-directory: cs.duke.edu:/dist/sources/gnuplot/ [128.109.140.1]
Reposted-by: emv@msen.com (Edward Vielmetti, MSEN)

In article <13962@ccncsu.ColoState.EDU> ah314368@longs.LANCE.ColoState.EDU (Vincent Huffaker) writes:
 > I need to locate a program to generate simple x-y plots
 > (in postscript).  We're getting a couple of Sun
 > workstations in (SPARC2) and we're standardizing on Postscript.
 > We need a way to make simple plots.
 >
 > Does anybody have any such code (or know of where
 > it can be obtained)?  We have C and FORTRAN compilers.

Check out gnuplot, currently at version 2.0 patchlevel 2.  It is
available via anonymous ftp from cs.duke.edu.  The command language is
easy to use.  Gnuplot can be setup to display/print on various types of
devices, including X windows and PostScript; it comes with a nice array
of supported devices.  A patch to support "dumb" devices was recently
sent to developers and debuggers of gnuplot; I haven't checked it out
yet, but if it works, I would suspect that it would be included in the
next release.  But, on the other hand, I'm only an interested observer.  ;-)

Enjoy...

			-jeff

Jeff Kellem
Internet: composer@chem.bu.edu