[comp.archives] [gnu-msdos] April Monthly Posting for info-gnu-msdos

david@wubios.wustl.edu (04/09/91)

Archive-name: gnu/ports/gnuish-msdos/0--
Archive-directory: ocf.berkeley.edu:/pub/GNU/gnuish-msdos/ [128.32.184.254]
Reposted-by: emv@msen.com (Edward Vielmetti, MSEN)

This is the first of a series of monthly postings to the
info-gnu-msdos mailing list.  It will not be sent to help-gnu-msdos
nor bug-gnu-msdos, under the assumption that those subscribers will
also be on the info- list.

Just a recap, the only major GNUISH product released in the last month
was diff version 1.15.  My deepest regrets to all the readers who
tolerated all the conversational traffic to get this bit of
information.  Hopefully the establishment of the two discussion lists
will keep the info-gnu-msdos list of low volume.

This monthly posting is intended to condense as much information as
possible into one posting, rather than spread information over many
smaller messages.  There will be information repeated from month-to-
month for the benefit of new readers.  Experienced readers can
concentrate on the beginning of the message, ignoring the repetitious
portions at the end.

I am seeking a vote on a possible change in the organization of the
lists.  I would simply add help-gnu-msdos to the info-gnu-msdos list,
and add bug-gnu-msdos to the help-gnu-msdos list.  I would then remove
readers from redundant lists on a one-time basis.  The charter would
reflect this fact, so that new subscribers would not accidently
subscribe to more than one list.

This would work under the assumption that all readers of help- and
bug- would definitely want the announcements, and that all developers
reading bug- would also be interested in help-.  I am more interested
in hearing arguments pro and con, rather than seeking a strict numeric
vote.  Please send your comments to help-gnu-msdos.

----- begin of README, alias 00msdos.gnu, alias MSDOS -----
README for the GNUish MS-DOS project.
Last updated: 90-12-11

The Free Software Foundation (FSF) is not directly interested in
integrating or maintaining ports of GNU software to MS-DOS, because of
limited resources.  These activities take time away from finishing a
complete standalone GNU, which FSF and many in the GNU Project
considers much more important.

However, Thorsten Ohl <td12@ddagsi3.bitnet> is organizing distribution
of such ports and moderating the GNUish MS-DOS project.

The GNUish MS-DOS subdirectory contains both MS-DOS ports of GNU
software and MS-DOS replacements for non-ported GNU software, the
collective whole being dubbed the "GNUish MS-DOS" project.

When several ports of the same tool exist, one of them has been
selected by the moderator of this project.  This does not means that
the selected port is the best possible, it means however that the port
is quite good.  Nobody should feel offended by any selection.

Some tools are possibly dangerous if you do not thoroughly understand
their usage (v.g. `rm -r *').  You ought to know what you are doing.
YOU USE THESE TOOLS AT YOUR OWN RISK.  You *were* warned!

LEGAL CONDITIONS

These programs are free software; you can redistribute them and/or
modify them under the terms of the GNU General Public License as
published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 1, or (at your
option) any later version.

These programs are distributed in the hope that they will be useful, BUT
WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY WHATSOEVER, without even the implied warranties of
merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose.  See the GNU
General Public License (the file COPYING) for more details.

PROJECT MAILING LIST

There is a mailing list to discuss these MS-DOS ports of GNU software.
It is called info-gnu-msdos@wugate.wustl.edu.  It is managed by an
experimental Unix-based listserv program.  Send the command:

    add info-gnu-msdos
to:
    listserv@wugate.wustl.edu

to become subscribed to the list.  Send a message containing only
'help' to get more information about the listserv.  Do not send these
commands to info-gnu-msdos.  They should go to the listserv address.

The list is not moderated, not digestified, and open to subscription
by anyone.  Problems with the mailing list should be directed to:

    david@wubios.wustl.edu <David J. Camp>

FTP ARCHIVE SITES

There is currently no room on prep.ai.mit.edu to put these files up
for ftp.  If prep get more disk space, they might become available.
The collection of programs known as the GNUish MS-DOS project is still
available for ftp at the following addresses.  Administrative contacts
and upload directories are listed for the moderator's convenience.

   vulcan.phyast.pitt.edu [130.49.33.16], in pub/pc/gnudos.

	adm contact: Roberto Gomez <roberto@bondi.phyast.pitt.edu>
	upload in: incoming

   ocf.berkeley.edu [128.32.184.254], in pub/GNU/gnuish-msdos.
   sandstrom.berkeley.edu [128.32.234.18], alternatively.

	adm contact: Eric Ng <erc@irss.njit.edu> or <...!ucbvax!argon!erc>
	upload in: pub/GNU/uploads

   wsmr-simtel20.army.mil [26.2.0.74], in pd2:<msdos2.gnuish>.

	adm contact: Keith Petersen <w8sdz@wsmr-simtel20.army.mil>
	uploaded by: David Camp <david@wubios.wustl.edu>

   wuarchive.wustl.edu [128.252.135.4], in mirrors/msdos/gnuish.

	adm contact: David Camp <david@wubios.wustl.edu>

   funic.funet.fi [128.214.6.100], in pub/msdos/gnudos.

	adm contact: Petri Hartoma <msdos1@nic.funet.fi>
	upload in: pub/msdos/incoming

SOURCE CODE

Due to space considerations, only the patches relative to the official
GNU source code (with the source code found on prep.ai.mit.edu being
considered "official") and custom-written source code are provided.
In order to re-compile the GNUish MS-DOS project on your computer, you
need to first obtain the official GNU source code.  GNU documentation
(if any) can also be found within the official GNU source code.

The Free Software Foundation has set up an anonymous FTP site for GNU
software on prep.ai.mit.edu [18.71.0.38].  The distributions present
on that machine are considered "official" and are the best ones to use
with the GNUish MS-DOS project.

EXECUTABLE CODE

For convenience, ready-to-execute binaries are also provided for those
who do not have the necessary compilers, or do not feel like using
them.  User documentation is usually not provided, at least for now,
beyond the documentation provided in the official GNU distribution.

GNUISH MS-DOS CONTENTS

	File		Notes	Description or official sources

	cpio11.zoo		prep.ai.mit.edu: pub/gnu/cpio-1.1.tar.Z
	diff114.zoo		prep.ai.mit.edu: pub/gnu/diff-1.14.tar.Z
	fgrep11.zoo		prep.ai.mit.edu: pub/gnu/fgrep-1.1.tar.Z
	find12.zoo	1	prep.ai.mit.edu: pub/gnu/find-1.2.tar.Z
	flex236.zoo		prep.ai.mit.edu: pub/gnu/flex-2.3.6.tar.Z
	futil14.zoo		prep.ai.mit.edu: pub/gnu/fileutils-1.4.tar.Z
	gdbm14.zoo	3	prep.ai.mit.edu: pub/gnu/gdbm-1.4.tar.Z
	gnulib0.zoo	3,4	Port of usual GNU routines
	gptx01.zoo	4	Ask <pinard@iro.umontreal.ca>
	grep15.zoo		prep.ai.mit.edu: pub/gnu/grep-1.5.tar.Z
	inden11.zoo		prep.ai.mit.edu: pub/gnu/indent-1.1.tar.Z
	m4v05.zoo		prep.ai.mit.edu: pub/gnu/m4.tar.Z
	make358.zoo	2	prep.ai.mit.edu: pub/gnu/make-3.58.tar.Z
	mkinf10.zoo	4,5	prep.ai.mit.edu: pub/gnu/elisp.tar.Z
	sed106.zoo		prep.ai.mit.edu: pub/gnu/sed-1.06.tar.Z
	sort03.zoo	4	Future GNU sort, version 0.3
	swalib0.zoo	2,3	Swapping library from <td12@ddagsi3.bitnet>

	  1	use `zoo x//' to restore sub-directories
	  2	requires Microsoft C compiler at level 6.0
	  3	this is a source library, not a user program
	  4	GNUish, but unofficial or unreleased GNU product
	  5	includes both makeinfo *and* a stand-alone Info reader

For those interested, the filename for each of packages is selected
according to the following pattern:

In this syntax, <radix> is a string of three to six characters to
identify the product, v.g. `futil' indicates GNU file utilities.
<version> is a series of one to three digits indicating the version,
v.g. `14' for `1.4', 358 for `3.58' or `0' for non-released yet; the
decimal point is not necessarily implied after the first digit.  In no
case <radix> and <version> altogether could go over seven characters.
The <release> is nothing for the first edition in GNUish MS-DOS
archives, but might be a single letter for subsequent editions, like
`a', `b', `c', etc. in turn.

FUTURE FILES

The following GNU tools have already been ported to DOS, and will be
added later in the GNUish MS-DOS subdirectory:

	bison chess compress [ce]tags gawk perl rcs readline

The following replacement tools could be made available in the GNUish
MS-DOS subdirectory, in the future:

	freemacs or jove	no editor war, please :-)
	ms_sh162		waiting for bash :-)
	uxutl162		only some of them

Work is being done for:

	tar

README AUTHORS

This README file has been written disjointly by:

	Thorsten Ohl <td12@ddagsi3.bitnet>
	Francois Pinard <pinard@iro.umontreal.ca>
	Eric Ng <erc@irss.njit.edu>
	Richard Stallman <rms@ai.mit.edu>
	David J. Camp <david@wubios.wustl.edu>

--
Franc,ois Pinard          ``Vivement GNU!''         pinard@iro.umontreal.ca
(514) 588-4656    cp 886 L'Epiphanie (Qc) J0K 1J0    ...!uunet!iros1!pinard

----- begin of gnu-msdos.charter -----
original intention was to exchange information between developers of
the GNUISH project, an effort to port GNU products to MsDos.

The list gained rapid popularity, including among many users who were
adamant that it should be used only for product announcements.  Many
users have angrily dropped their subscriptions because of the intended
activity of the list, which included discussions.

I am happy to announce the establishment of two new mailing lists.
The info-gnu-msdos list will now be reserved for announcements, as
requested by numerous subscribers.  The new lists will be used for
discussions.

I hope that many of our previous subscribers will rejoin the list, now
that discussions are relegated to the other lists.

PLEASE SEND YOUR SUBSCRIPTION REQUESTS TO :

    listserv@wugate.wustl.edu

NOT TO THE LISTS !!!!!

----- cut here -----
bug-gnu-msdos@wugate.wustl.edu -- Bug reports for GNUISH MsDos Software
help-gnu-msdos@wugate.wustl.edu -- Discussion about GNUISH MsDos Software
info-gnu-msdos@wugate.wustl.edu -- Announcements about GNUISH MsDos Software

The Free Software Foundation (FSF) is not directly interested in
integrating or maintaining ports of GNU software to MS-DOS, because of
limited resources.  These activities take time away from finishing a
complete standalone GNU, which FSF and many in the GNU Project
considers much more important.

There are some mailing lists to discuss MsDos ports of GNU software.
They include:

    bug-gnu-msdos@wugate.wustl.edu     bug reports
    help-gnu-msdos@wugate.wustl.edu    discussion
    info-gnu-msdos@wugate.wustl.edu    announcements

It is no longer appropriate to post anything but announcements on the
info-gnu-msdos list.  Discussion of software bugs should be done on
the bug-gnu-msdos list.  All other discussion should be done on the
help-gnu-msdos list.

These newsgroups are managed by an experimental Unix-based listserv
program.  Send the command:

    add info-gnu-msdos
to:
    listserv@wugate.wustl.edu

to become subscribed to the list.  Send a message containing only
'help' to get more information about the listserv.  The commands
should be in the message body, not in the Subject: line.

Here is the help file from the listserv, explaining additional commands.

> Welcome to the WUSTL ONC List Server.
>
> Valid commands are:
>
> 	add <mailing list>     -  Add yourself to the specified list.
> 	delete <mailing list>  -  Remove yourself from the specified list.
> 	inquire                -  Inquire which lists you belong to.
> 	lists                  -  Inquire which lists are available.
> 	help  (or)  ?          -  Request this help file.
>
> Send mail to 'listserv@wugate.wustl.edu' with one or more of the
> above commands in the body of your message, one per line.
>
> We are sorry, but this "implementation" of the listserv system (and that's
> a fairly generous description) is *NOT* available for distribution to the
> public.  A new version is being developed and will be released at some date
> in the future (not soon).

DO NOT SEND THESE COMMANDS TO THE LISTS.  SEND THEM TO THE LISTSERV.

These lists are not moderated, not digestified, and open to
subscription by anyone.  Flames are NOT WELCOME.  Please do not
complain about the nature of postings unless a persistent problem
exists.  Problems with the mailing list should be directed to:

    bug-gnu-msdos-request@wugate.wustl.edu
    help-gnu-msdos-request@wugate.wustl.edu
    info-gnu-msdos-request@wugate.wustl.edu

To get more information about the GNUISH project, look at the file
on wuarchive.wustl.edu (128.252.135.4) in the mirrors/msdos/gnuish
directory called '00msdos.gnu'.
----- cut here -----

david@wubios.wustl.edu             ^     Mr. David J. Camp
david%wubios@wugate.wustl.edu    < * >   +1 314 382 0584
.!uunet!wugate!wubios!david      v     "God loves material things."
----- end of gnu-msdos.charter -----