[comp.archives] [wanted] Re: Unix Configure script

jiml@uwslh.slh.wisc.edu (James E. Leinweber) (04/17/91)

Archive-name: unix/portable/metaconfig/1991-04-15
Archive-directory: jpl-devvax.jpl.nasa.gov:/pub/dist.2.0/ [128.149.1.143]
Reposted-by: emv@msen.com (Edward Vielmetti, MSEN)

>In article <1991Apr10.214750.19556@news.iastate.edu>,
> john@iastate.edu (Hascall John Paul) writes:
>>
>>    Once upon a time, I installed a package I received from the net and it
>> had this terribly nifty script (named "Configure" as I recall) which
>>    Does anyone know where I can find this wonderful thing?

Larry Wall, who produced patch, rn, perl, among other wonderful
software, has a "metaconfigure" program which invents "Configure"
scripts for you.  I believe it was posted one of the comp.sources
groups two years ago; snoop around your favorite archive for it.
According to the archie server at quiche.cs.mcgill.ca, you can find it
in the following ftp archives:

Host uxc.cso.uiuc.edu   (128.174.5.50)
Last updated 09:58 30 Mar 1991
Location: /utils.opt/dist/mcon

Host apple.com   (130.43.2.2)
Last updated 21:31 29 Mar 1991
Location: /pub/ArchiveVol1/unix_lwall/dist/mcon

Host jyu.fi   (128.214.7.5)
Last updated 05:01  5 Apr 1991
Location: /pub/misc/metaconfig

Stealing the configure script from perl, patch, or rn and modifying it
for your own needs is also specifically encouraged by Larry.  If you
can't find any of these, as a last resort, ask him about it directly;
he's <lwall@netlabs.com>.

--
Jim Leinweber  (608)262-0736   State Lab. of Hygiene/U. of Wisconsin - Madison
jiml@sente.slh.wisc.edu	       uunet!uwvax!uwslh!jiml        fax:(608)262-3257

-- comp.archives file verification
jpl-devvax.jpl.nasa.gov
total 3
-rw-rw-r--  2 185      0             182 Jul 12  1988 README
drwxrwxr-x  2 185      0             512 Aug  5  1988 kits@2
drwxrwxr-x  2 185      0             512 Aug  5  1988 patches
found metaconfig ok
jpl-devvax.jpl.nasa.gov:/pub/dist.2.0/