[comp.archives] [sci.lang.japan] Re: RFD: FTP site list posting

mleisher@nmsu.edu (Mark Leisher) (04/18/91)

Archive-name: sites/japan/japan-ftp-sites/1991-04-17
Archive: crl.nmsu.edu:pub/japanese/ftp.sites [128.123.1.14]
Reposted-by: emv@msen.com (Edward Vielmetti, MSEN)

In article <axolotl.671846776@syzygy> axolotl@socs.uts.edu.au (Iain D. Sinclair) writes:

 >>Since there are often some questions like 'How can I get X on PC/Mac/Sun?'
 >>(X = the names of Kanji related softwares)
 >>I began to think about periodical posting to tell new-readers
 >>1)What kind of softwares are avairable on their machine,
 >>2)Where can they get these softwares by anonymous FTP.

There is a list of anonymous ftp sites for Japanese related software
at:

  crl.nmsu.edu:pub/japanese/ftp.sites  [128.123.1.14]

The list is not complete, but it's a good start if someone wants to
add to it.

 >This is a very good idea. I might add, though, that even with this
 >information, it's still quite difficult to get it all 'up and running'
 >(three people here have worked on installing kterm, and it's *still*
 >not going!).

I've significantly expanded the installation instructions for kterm
4.1.2 if you are interested.  You can get kterm 4.1.2 from:

crl.nmsu.edu:pub/misc/kterm-4.1.2.tar.Z  [128.123.1.14]
export.lcs.mit.edu:contrib/kterm-4.1.2.tar.Z  [18.30.0.238]
kum.kaist.ac.kr:pub/unix/Xstuffs/kterm-4.1.2.tar.Z  [137.68.1.65]

 >Also, information on getting feeds of/reading the fj.* newsgroups
 >might be handy. (I hear there's a lot of interesting stuff there.)

My only complaint is that the articles on the mtfuji NNTP server
expire too quickly, but, there are probably very good reasons for
this.

There are a number of sites that have fj.* feeds here in the US.  I'll
see if I can't dig up the info I have on this.

 >>So my questions are:
 >>1) Do you think such posting will be useful?
 >>2) How often should it be posted?  Once in a month?
 >
 >Very, and monthly is fine (though FAQs never seem to be around when you
 >want them).

A monthly FAQ posting would be a lot of help.

The best "Japanese and email" related document I have seen (in
English) is Ken Lundes "JAPAN.INF" file.  This is available at
ucdavis.edu:pub/JIS/japan.inf [128.120.2.1] and from crl.nmsu.edu as
pub/japanese/japan.inf.

mleisher@nmsu.edu                      "I laughed.
Mark Leisher                                I cried.
Computing Research Lab                          I fell down.
New Mexico State University                        It changed my life."
Las Cruces, NM                     - Rich [Cowboy Feng's Space Bar and Grille]

-- comp.archives file verification
crl.nmsu.edu
-rw-rw-r--  1 1145     other        1640 Feb  9 05:00 pub/japanese/ftp.sites
found japan-ftp-sites ok
crl.nmsu.edu:pub/japanese/ftp.sites