[comp.archives] [aus.archives...] Re: finger access to ftp archives

rossc@extro.ucc.su.oz.au (Ross Cartlidge) (04/20/91)

Archive-name: ftp/admin/aus-archive-database/1991-04-16
Reposted-by: emv@msen.com (Edward Vielmetti, MSEN)

rossc@extro.ucc.su.OZ.AU (Ross cartlidge) writes:

>We could then regularly fetch this file and add merge it into our database.
>Our ftp finger database is a "find <archive> -print" of our anon
>ftp area. "ls -lr" is no good because it doesn't list full filenames.

>what about each archive site installing a crontab entry like:-

>0 5 * * 6 cd /pub; find <list of public dirs> -print | xargs ls -ld > pub.find

To speed up the fetching of these files (and to save you disk space)
I'd like to change the format to a compressed pub.find. A compressed
pub.find is about the same size as a compressed "ls -lR".

So the crontab entry should be something like:-

0 5 * * 6 cd <ftp>;find <pub dirs> -exec ls -ld {} \; |compress -c >pub.find.Z

Replace <ftp> with ftp's home directory
Replace <pub dirs> with a list of all the directorys in <ftp> whcih have
	fetchable files.
NB: I have omitted the "xargs" of the previous example
as some machines don't have the command - but if you can
use xargs as it heaps quicker.

Please mail me when you have done this - I currently have
monu6.cc.monash
sirius
archive.su.oz.au
ccadfa.adfa

Thanks for your help.
To use the database try "finger help@directory.su.oz.au"
Its the "ftp" database.
Ross Rodney Cartlidge			    |   rossc@extro.ucc.su.oz.au
University Computing Service, H08	    |   Phone:     +61 2 6923497
University of Sydney, NSW 2006, Australia   |   FAX:       +61 2 6606557