[net.auto] Jeeps from the Government

brett@ucla-cs.UUCP (05/29/85)

Earlier in this newsgroup, I brought up the issue of government jeeps.
Most people said they really were in sad shape.  Anyhow, the following
ad appeared in the UCLA campus newspaper today.  I dont know if it's
been appearing there long:

Is it true you can buy Jeeps for $44 through the US government?
Get the facts today! Call .....

If anyone is brave and wants the number I have it.  The area code is 312.

--
Brett Fleisch
University of California Los Angeles

brett@ucla-cs.ARPA or
...!{cepu, ihnp4, trwspp, ucbvax}!ucla-cs!brett

ugzannin@sunybcs.UUCP (Adrian Zannin) (06/04/85)

Brett Fleisch writes:
> Earlier in this newsgroup, I brought up the issue of government jeeps.
> Most people said they really were in sad shape.  Anyhow, the following
> ad appeared in the UCLA campus newspaper today.  I dont know if it's
> been appearing there long:
>
> Is it true you can buy Jeeps for $44 through the US government?
> Get the facts today! Call .....
>
> If anyone is brave and wants the number I have it.  The area code is 312.

   No need to call about the jeeps... one of my friends bought one.  You get
a jeep for $44 alright, but it is in a crate all disassembled and there are
no directions.  The Army assumes that you are a born mechanic.  By the way,
there is NO ':-)' with this posting.

" The U.S. Army...over 70 years unhampered by progress."

--
     Adrian Zannin

 ..{burdvax,rocksvax,bbncca,decvax,dual,rocksanne,watmath}!sunybcs!ugzannin

sja@rduxb.UUCP (Sam J. Anastasio) (06/04/85)

>    No need to call about the jeeps... one of my friends bought one.  You get
> a jeep for $44 alright, but it is in a crate all disassembled and there are
> no directions.  The Army assumes that you are a born mechanic.

Golly, I think that a box of jeep guts is well worth $44.  It would bring more
than that at the local ferreous salvage swap shop.

I'm also certain that quite a few of us net-nuts could swing a mean wrench and
create a jeep, if everything is there.

What do you want for $44, anyway????!! (By the way, I am "not" pro-army)

jay@allegra.UUCP (Jay Hyman) (06/04/85)

>Brett Fleisch writes:
>> Earlier in this newsgroup, I brought up the issue of government jeeps.
>> Most people said they really were in sad shape.  Anyhow, the following
>> ad appeared in the UCLA campus newspaper today.  I dont know if it's
>> been appearing there long:
>>
>> Is it true you can buy Jeeps for $44 through the US government?
>> Get the facts today! Call .....
>>
>> If anyone is brave and wants the number I have it.  The area code is 312.

That same ad appeared for a while at Columbia, where I go to
school.  Well, I thought it looked kind of interesting, so I gave it a try,
and boy, was it ever spooky.  There was a live woman on the other end of
the phone, but she was either totally out of her mind or on some real
powerful drugs.  Upon picking up the phone she calmly inquired if I was
calling about the jeeps;  when I responded in the affirmative she launched
on a 10,000 word-per-minute monologue that lasted a good five minutes.
(OK, the first number may be exaggerated, but the second isn't.)  It was
like a recorded sales pitch at double speed, and she wouldn't let me get
a word in.  It seems the government has these amazing sales of jeeps and
other disassembled bargains all the time (she listed about 700 products
I might want to buy), and her company will sell you a publication telling
you when and where you can find these great sales.  Of course, she never
says outright that if you just say yes and they mail you the catalogue
you'll end up paying for the privilege of being able to buy from the
gov't, but I managed to beat it out of her at the end.

So - if it's the Jeep parts you want, let the guy who bought one tell you
where to get it;  get this number and call it only if you find this sort
of thing entertaining.

Jay

cramer@kontron.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) (06/06/85)

> Earlier in this newsgroup, I brought up the issue of government jeeps.
> Most people said they really were in sad shape.  Anyhow, the following
> ad appeared in the UCLA campus newspaper today.  I dont know if it's
> been appearing there long:
>
> Is it true you can buy Jeeps for $44 through the US government?
> Get the facts today! Call .....
>
> If anyone is brave and wants the number I have it.  The area code is 312.

I saw a recent comment by the guy at GSA who supervises sales of surplus
government vehicles and other oddities --- he says all those outfits that
sell the information about GSA sales are taking advantage of buyer
ignorance.  If you call GSA, they'll send you the same information for
free.  (A lot of those companies that sell the forms and information
charge upwards of $15 for it.)

wanttaja@ssc-vax.UUCP (Ronald J Wanttaja) (06/06/85)

> .......  It seems the government has these amazing sales of jeeps and
> other disassembled bargains all the time (she listed about 700 products
> I might want to buy), and her company will sell you a publication telling
> you when and where you can find these great sales.  Of course, she never
> says outright that if you just say yes and they mail you the catalogue
> you'll end up paying for the privilege of being able to buy from the
> gov't, but I managed to beat it out of her at the end.

Not to mention that the catalog is available... *FREE* ... from the
government.  I think you get it from the GSA.

				     Ron Wanttaja
				     (ssc-vax!wanttaja)

"... and Bruce, here, is in charge of the sheep dip..."

wetcw@pyuxa.UUCP (T C Wheeler) (06/07/85)

Concerning sending away for a catalouge, don't bother.  Just go down
to your local library and read the Government Publication, Business
Daily ( I think that's the name).  It lists all kinds of neat things
you can bid on like software support jobs, soap dishes, and sales
of surplus everything from ships to sealing wax.  If your looking
for a jeep, they will tell you where and when the next auction is
to be held and what will be available and what the sale conditions
are.
T. C. Wheeler

tallman@bgsuvax.UUCP (David Tallman) (06/07/85)

Well,

I really hate to tell everyone this but, the jeeps the
goverment sells are  really in sad shape. Also, that add that
you have seen in your campus newspaper has been in almost every campus
newspaper know to man. Sorry but when something seems to good to be
true, it normaly is.

David Tallman
(not an auto expert, just an avid fan...)