[comp.archives] [databases] Re: University Ingres Query

kemnitz@hermes.Berkeley.EDU (Greg Kemnitz) (04/26/91)

Archive-name: database/relational/postgres/1991-04-25
Archive: postgres.berkeley.edu:/pub/postgres-v2r1.tar.Z [128.32.149.1]
Reposted-by: emv@msen.com (Edward Vielmetti, MSEN)

In article <1991Apr24.145527.3773@b21.b21.ingr.com> sullivan@b21.UUCP (Howard Sullivan) writes:

>On several occasions I have seen postings relating to University
>Ingres.  Is this a public domain product?  If not, who distributes it?
>If so, is there a FTP site from which it can be obtained?  Is it like
>the Ingres database system produced by Relational?  If not, how are
>they different?  How do they compare in performance?

University Ingres is available from postgres.berkeley.edu via anonymous FTP.
It is the distant ancestor of ASK/Ingres/RTI Ingres.  The code itself can
answer your other questions.

Anyway, we at the Postgres project would much rather you got Postgres, which
does far more than University Ingres, _and_ we are willing to answer questions
about it :-)  NOTE: they are _not_ compatible.

PS: Postgres is also available from postgres.berkeley.edu

>Any responses of those "in the Know" will be appreciated.

Greg Kemnitz                  |      "I ran out of the room - I
Postgres Chief Programmer     |      didn't want to be killed by a pile
278 Cory Hall, UCB            |      of VMS manuals" :-)
(415) 642-7520                |
kemnitz@postgres.berkeley.edu |      --A friend at DEC Palo Alto in the Quake

-- comp.archives file verification
postgres.berkeley.edu
-r--r--r--  1 ftp      wheel     3862802 Mar 12 02:22 /pub/postgres-v2r1.tar.Z
found postgres ok
postgres.berkeley.edu:/pub/postgres-v2r1.tar.Z