[comp.archives] [minix] Re: Reusing Minix Source

dc@caveat.berkeley.edu (Dave Cottingham) (04/26/91)

Archive-name: library/legal/lpf-patents/1991-04-24
Archive: prep.ai.mit.edu:/pub/lpf/patents.texinfo [18.71.0.38]
Reposted-by: emv@msen.com (Edward Vielmetti, MSEN)

In article <1991Apr24.132201.29077@cs.utk.edu> nall@cs.utk.edu (John Nall) writes:
>So far as algorithms go, my understanding is that you CAN't patent them.
>But of course you can copyright a particular implementation of one.

I wish it were so, but it ain't.  The US Patent Office has been
issuing software patents like crazy for about five years now.  Are
they valid?  Who knows, but valid or not they should be fairly
effective at protecting large immobile software companies from
competition from small innovative ones.  For more info on this
subject, FTP to prep.ai.mit.edu and grab pub/lpf/patents.texinfo.

There is a patent treaty in the works which most of the industrialized
world is likely to sign.  In its current incarnation it includes
software among the things that can be patented.  So, all you hackers
out there, if your country signs this, you'll find the following
algorithms protected by patent (they're patented in the US already):
LZW compression (used by compress), backing store (used by X-windows),
and include files (used by everything).  And many more.  Maybe you
should look into this.

Dave Cottingham			| "The low-bid contractor is not always
dc@caveat.berkeley.edu		|  the truly socially conscious one."
				| - Loni Hancock, mayor of Berkeley

-- comp.archives file verification
prep.ai.mit.edu
-rw-r--r--  1 14910    wheel       33207 Mar  5 14:00 /pub/lpf/patents.texinfo
found lpf-patents ok
prep.ai.mit.edu:/pub/lpf/patents.texinfo