[net.followup] terminology survey

alanj@orca.UUCP (Alan Jeddeloh) (06/22/85)

RE: What to call the tractor-feed strips on line printer paper.

I'm afraid NPR beat you to this one.  About a year ago they ran a
contest on "All Things Considered" for the best new word.  The
winner was "PERFORY" --- what to call the tractor-feed strips on
line printer paper.

	Alan Jeddeloh
	Tektronix Graphics Workstation Division
	Wilsonville, OR
	(503) 685-2882

nather@utastro.UUCP (Ed Nather) (06/24/85)

> RE: What to call the tractor-feed strips on line printer paper.
>
> I'm afraid NPR beat you to this one.  About a year ago they ran a
> contest on "All Things Considered" for the best new word.  The
> winner was "PERFORY" --- what to call the tractor-feed strips on
> line printer paper.
>
> 	Alan Jeddeloh

I was told it was "perforate," which sounds more like a noun to me.

--
Ed Nather
Astronony Dept, U of Texas @ Austin

george@sysvis (06/26/85)

<...>

All in all, the tractor-feed strips on line printer paper are more
PERFIDY than PERFORY.

mg@ukc.UUCP (M.W.Guy) (07/09/85)

> RE: What to call the tractor-feed strips on line printer paper.

The prevalent terms here are "paper meccano", nicely descriptive and
"souflouce", with a delightful lack of either etymology or apparent meaning.

jaap@mcvax.UUCP (Jaap Akkerhuis) (07/10/85)

In article <147@ukc.UUCP> mg@ukc.UUCP (M.W.Guy) writes:
 > > RE: What to call the tractor-feed strips on line printer paper.
 >
 > The prevalent terms here are "paper meccano", nicely descriptive and
 > "souflouce", with a delightful lack of either etymology or apparent meaning.

Sprocket holes.

wjhe@hlexa.UUCP (Bill Hery) (07/11/85)

> In article <147@ukc.UUCP> mg@ukc.UUCP (M.W.Guy) writes:
>  > > RE: What to call the tractor-feed strips on line printer paper.
>  >
>  > The prevalent terms here are "paper meccano", nicely descriptive and
>  > "souflouce", with a delightful lack of either etymology or apparent meaning.
>
> Sprocket holes.

NO--you've got it backwards.  The sprocket holes are IN the paper meccano
(or whatever it will be called).  Even at Dunkin Donuts the donut holes aren't
the same as the donuts (they're just made of the same stuff).