[net.auto] How to turn a Saab?

rdg@hpfcla.UUCP (rdg) (05/29/85)

Subject: How to *really* handle a front wheel drive car

No question about it: I love my Saab, but it has one small problem. The
wrong set of wheels are driven! Well, perhaps "wrong" isn't the right
word - maybe "front" is better. The fact is, I find it relatively easy
to handle a rear-wheel drive car. With proper use of the brakes and
throttle, you can make it do whatever you want - drift, slide, etc.
How do you perform comparable tasks with an understeering, front-wheel
drive car, such as the Saab?  What's the best technique for taking the
car around various types of turns?

I'd appreciate any words of wisdom on this problem, as well as driving
tips in general.

Rob Gardner                     {ihnp4,hplabs,hpbbn}!hpfcla!rdg
Hewlett Packard                 or hpfcla!rdg@hplabs
Fort Collins, Co. 80525

kanner@tymix.UUCP (Herb Kanner) (06/01/85)

In article <13200026@hpfcla.UUCP> rdg@hpfcla.UUCP (rdg) writes:

>Subject: How to *really* handle a front wheel drive car
>
>No question about it: I love my Saab, but it has one small problem. The
>wrong set of wheels are driven! Well, perhaps "wrong" isn't the right
>word - maybe "front" is better. The fact is, I find it relatively easy
>to handle a rear-wheel drive car. With proper use of the brakes and
>throttle, you can make it do whatever you want - drift, slide, etc.
>How do you perform comparable tasks with an understeering, front-wheel
>drive car, such as the Saab?  What's the best technique for taking the
>car around various types of turns?

During a 7-year stay in England, I owned nothing but FWD cars.  The first
snowy day was a shock to me, my previous cars in the U.S. having been VW
beetles and an old Porsche, both oversteering cars in which, when you got
in trouble, responded favorably to acceleration.  Well, when I felt a bit
of slide rounding a curve, my reflex action was to give it a bit of gas.
Surprise, surprise--I went off the curve on its tangent!

I found many books in the British libraries on high-level rally driving,
with tips on FWD.  I remember two of them and will pass them on;  I have
used them both.  The first has to do with going over hump-back bridges,
which are common in England.  They are so humped that at 50 or 60 mph you
will literally leave the ground for a moment like a ski jumper.  The trick
with the FWD car is to tromp on the gas at the crest of the bridge.  The
acceleration loads the front end, holding you on the ground.  The second is
the "hand-brake" turn for very sharp cornering.  Start the turn, press the
clutch, and jab sharply with the hand brake, which momentarily locks the
rear wheels.  The car starts to slide around.  When you are aimed in the
direction you wish to go, release the clutch and accelerate.  I tried it at
a safe speed on snow, and it really works.  Professional rally drivers do
it at high speed on dirt roads.

As a general rule, with the caveat that all rules have exceptions, with a
FWD car letting up a bit on the gas when you are in trouble will get you
out of trouble.  I guess that is why beginning drivers find them
user-friendly.

--
Herb Kanner
Tymnet, Inc.

pauldan@hou2e.UUCP (P.SAUNDERS) (06/04/85)

>>How do you perform comparable tasks with an understeering, front-wheel
>>drive car, such as the Saab?  What's the best technique for taking the
>>car around various types of turns?
>
>As a general rule, with the caveat that all rules have exceptions, with a
>FWD car letting up a bit on the gas when you are in trouble will get you
>out of trouble.  I guess that is why beginning drivers find them
>user-friendly.

Hmmm.  I'm not sure about *your* fwd car, but with mine, the general rule
is to accelerate your way out of trouble.  There have been many times when
I've used full right foot to pull my way through a turn.  FWD cars are
especially fun in the rain (or snow?); when going around a curve, if you
start to slide, hit the gas and steer into the curve.  A problem with
this:  once you begin to slide and decide to accelerate through the curve
to stop the slide, you are committed to accelerating through the curve.
You are using the engine's power to hold your car in it's line, and if
it's a long curve, you can run out of power or reach the "point of
no return" (the speed at which if you go any faster, the car will break loose
from the curve; but you *must* accelerate to stay in the curve; so no matter
what, you crash and get hurt).  However, on normal public roads, it's pretty
difficult to approach these limits.  On a race track it's easy to, and this
is a major reason why there are no fwd race cars even though they are
theoretically faster through a turn.

Dan Masi

doncr@hammer.UUCP (Don Craig) (06/06/85)

Re:	How to turn a Saab (170 lines)

I rallied for a number of years at the Canadian National level,
both as co-driver and driver, and owned a Mini Cooper S (fwd!!)
which I drove 'spiritedly' in Montreal winters.   I have been
hauled out of ditches twice in the same afternoon during a
blizzard in the Eastern Townships of Quebec, and have rolled
three times while rallying.   Be warned.   Practice the following
in an EMPTY parking lot with a wet, snowy, or icy surface.
Professional rally drivers reach their peak twenty years after
they start competitive driving (if they make it).

Handbrake turns were much favoured by rally drivers in the fifties
and sixties, when speeds were lower.  They are used today only
in emergencies, because they are difficult to accurately control,
and tie up a hand better used to shift gears.   They will give
more oversteer (i.e., a tendancy to spin) than almost anything
else you can do while driving.   Used in the street, where speeds
are much lower (even for Roger Ramjet) than in competition, they
are good for abrupt 90 degree and 180 degree turns of the car body.
They do NOT alter the original vector of the car when properly
applied.   That happens after the car body has turned and the
tires have a new slip angle (the difference between the direction
in which the tire is pointed and which the road is moving).
If the road is dry asphalt, handbrake turns are also noisy.

Handbrake turns require that the handbrake operate on the rear
wheels of the car.  This unfortunately excludes the Saab, whose
handbrake operates on the front wheels.   If the car is rear
handbrake, front wheel drive, handbrake turns are fairly
easy.   Start the car into the turn so that the suspension
compresses on the outside.   You should be understeering at
this point (it doesn't look like you'll make it).   Pull on
the handbrake (with the release depressed!) the right amount (:-)
(relatively violently) and the car will suddenly(ish - depending
on its polar moment (tendancy to resist doing this)) oversteer/
start to spin.   Start to steer into the potential spin immediately.
Also release the handbrake at the right time (:-) (relatively
soon).   The length of time the handbrake is applied and the
promptness with which the driver turns into the potential spin
control the amount of turning the car body actually does.
The extra trick (which requires some practice) for rear wheel
drive cars is to dip (depress) the clutch for exactly the duration
that the handbrake is applied.

I last saw handbrake turns used as a regular high speed technique
at the World Rally Championship level by the great British driver
Roger Clark when he visited Canada in 1977 with the Ford of England
team.   The rear brake discs had twin sets of calipers, one set
operated by the footbrake, and one set operated by the hydraulic
handbrake.   And at every service stop (every 1 - 3 hours of
competitive driving), his mechanics would change the handbrake pads.
I believe his Ford Escort (the old European kind) finished third
overall.

And now the Saab.   A very interesting but somewhat eccentric
car capable of high performance indeed.   Handbrake turns are
not available because the handbrake works on the front, but other
things can be done.   The world expert in Saab driving is the
Swede Stig Blomqvist, who won the world rally championship in
1984 (although that was in the somewhat similarly handling
(can understeer like a pig) Audi Quattro).   Stig rallied a Saab
in Canada in the summer of 1978, and was the first man to win
a Canadian National Rally in a production class car (only safety
modifications allowed from stock).  (The American John Buffum
(Vermonter actually) is the only other man to have done this,
he did it in a Volkswagen GTI.)   I did one not very successful
rally as co-driver (tells the dummy behind the wheel what to do)
for the Canadian Saab factory team.

Blomqvist's style in car handling makes sure he NEVER gets
caught out by understeer.   He does this by entering the
tighter corners in an attitude of gross oversteer (near the
limit of the steering gear to turn into a potential spin).
As the corner progresses he unwinds the steering wheel until
the front wheels are more or less lined up with the direction
the car is pointing.   If the corner tightens up, he doesn't
unwind the wheel.   To achieve the oversteering entry attitude
several things can be done.  On any front wheel drive car,
lifting your foot from the throttle will provoke oversteer.
If you do this violently, you will get a lot of oversteer,
especially if the suspension is already compressed on one
side of the car from having started a turn.   Turning into
the potential spin immediately controls how much turning
you get.   The other technique that oversteers a front
wheel drive car is 'left foot braking'.

Most low performance street machinery has what is known
as a front brake bias.   Usually about 60% of the braking
force of the footbrake is applied at the front wheels
and the remaining 40% is applied at the rear.   This promotes
understeer under braking, so that Aunt Millie in a panic
skid will not spin, but will tend to go in a straight line
towards her impending doom.   More sophisticated drivers
want to be able to turn sharply while braking hard, and
are prepared to turn into a potential spin to retain control.
This requires at least a neutral brake bias (50 - 50) and
preferably a rear brake bias (say 40% front, 60% rear).
A fully prepared rally car has brake bias adjustable from
a lever beside the handbrake, so the driver can vary the
amount of rear brake bias (never saw anyone set it for
front brake bias), depending on the road tightness and
surface condition.   I would guess my RX-7 SE has about
55% rear bias and 45% front.   My Mini Cooper was permanently
set up with 70% rear and 30% front (ho ho ho).

Brake bias can be adjusted by replacing or modifying
(or removing in the case of the Mini) a device that sits
somewhere in the hydraulics and is known as a 'proportioning
valve'.   Do not see your dealer for this modification,
unless he is very understanding.   For cars that cannot
be modified due to various rules (competition, insurance,
safety), a similar effect can be achieved by putting a
softer brake lining on the rear shoes or pads, and by
putting a harder (so-called competition) brake lining on
the front pads.   Stig Blomqvist's production cars always
had the hardest possible linings on the front, the softest
possible on the rear.   (His full blown cars usually had
the proportioning valve hard over for rear bias.)

With brake bias to the rear, a driver can set his car
up in an oversteering attitude by depressing the foot
brake once the suspension on the outside of the turn is
compressed.   If he depresses the brake with his left
foot, his right foot is available to depress the throttle,
and he can balance the angle of the car's body by playing
his right foot against his left.   This works because
applying throttle while braking significantly reduces
the effect of the front brakes, provoking even more rear
brake bias.   It even worked on my father's fwd Pontiac,
which has about 70% FRONT brake bias, but it gets the
front brakes and engine very hot, and the car handled so
badly I was probably wasting my time.

To get a feel for this in an EMPTY parking lot with a
slippery surface:   Approach the turn at a reasonably
rapid pace.   Start to turn in for the corner, compressing
the suspension on the outside of car.   With power in
but good, sharply rap the brake pedal with your left foot.
When the car starts to oversteer (if you did it right)
be very ready to turn into the direction of the potential
spin.   And practice practice practice if you intend
to try it anywhere else.   The sooner you get hard pads
on the front, and soft shoes/pads on the rear, the easier
you will be on your drive train.

To sum up, lifting your right foot will always give you
oversteer on a front wheel drive car.  If you do this
violently, you will get a lot of oversteer, which you
can then balance and control.   If you want to oversteer
while braking, either adjust your brake bias to the rear,
or apply power and brakes at the same time which achieves
the same effect.   Stig Blomqvist uses all of these
tricks and then some.

In competition, front wheel drive cars are typically
faster in the tight and twisty sections than rear
wheel drive cars, but somewhat slower in the fast
corners.   This is because a front wheel drive car
can only get oversteer while slowing down, but a
rear wheel drive car can get oversteer while
speeding up as well.   This is if ALL other things
are equal, which they never are.   Driver ability
counts for a lot.   (Last year's production class
world rally champion was driving a Golf GTI, fwd.)

Fast driving of four wheel drive cars (Quattros,
Peugot 205's, Lancia Delta's, funny RX-7's) is
another subject.

geoff@denelvx.UUCP (Geoff Baum) (06/06/85)

Having owned two Saab 96s, one Saab 99, and two Honda Civics I would like
to pass on the following comments about one subscriber's suggestions for
"How to turn a Saab?".  My comments are based on 12 years experience
driving the above mentioned front-wheel drive cars, combined with lots of
playing with them in all weather conditions, especially on snow and ice.

>Hmmm.  I'm not sure about *your* fwd car, but with mine, the general rule
>is to accelerate your way out of trouble.

I used to beleive this and applied the rule religiously.  It definitely DOES
work under certain conditions, when the car is NOT being pushed to its
limits.  This technique will pull the front back toward the inside of a
turn if you are correcting for the car's inherent understeer.  If the car
is really skidding, don't try accelerating.  The front wheels will loose
traction once they start to spin, and you will be in a complete side slip.

>if you start to slide, hit the gas and steer into the curve.  A problem with
>this:  ...  you can run out of power or reach the "point of
>no return" (the speed at which if you go any faster, the car will break loose
>from the curve; but you *must* accelerate to stay in the curve; so no matter
>what, you crash and get hurt).

As stated before, if you are correcting for understeer, accelerating into the
curve MAY help.  As this subscriber correctly pointed out, however, if you put
the car into a real skid, it will go off the edge.  The correct way to induce
oversteer in a front wheel drive car (or to get it headed back around the turn
when it is sliding to the outside) is to increase the traction on the front
wheels while decreasing the traction on the rear wheels.  This can be done in
several ways, most of which have been mentioned.

The most subtle method is to take your foot OFF the gas.  This causes the car
to pitch forward slighty and increases traction on the front wheels which then
take you through the turn.  The second method is to TAP the brakes (lightly);
this has the same effect only more so.  The third method is to lift off the
gas AND hit the brakes.  The brakes have to be modulated carefully here.  The
rear wheels may lock a bit and start to skid to the OUTSIDE of the curve,
which is just what you want in order to get headed in the right direction.
The last and most drastic method is to lock the hand brake; this affects only
the rear wheels and can spin you around faster than you can think.

Probably the easiest way to see how this all works is to go to an empty
parking lot and try the following:  Turn the steering wheel to its lock and
accelerate until the car starts to slide (or until you can't stand it any
more), then quickly lift your foot off the gas (don't depress the clutch).
You should notice the car nose into the center of the circle.  Applying the
brakes when you lift of the gas will accentuate this effect.  Try it, you'll
like it!

The best way to learn all of these techniques is at very low speed (5 mph) on
a slippery surface (snow or sand is best).  Once you are comfortable at that
speed, try them at higher speeds on dryer surfaces.  As for how to induce
oversteer, try shifting into a lower gear and accelerating; the front wheels
should spin, and off you go (figuratively, of course).

>this is a major reason why there are no fwd race cars even though they are
>theoretically faster through a turn.

There are MANY front wheel drive race cars, and have been for YEARS!  They
have been cleaning up road rallys for a long time and are only now being
challenged by four wheel drive cars.  What about the Miller race cars that
were unbeaten (at Indy?) for years.

bhs@siemens.UUCP (06/07/85)

Rob:

There seem to be at least two accepted ways of turning a Saab.

The easier one of the two, which both work at a point close to the performance
limit, which is what you are worrying about, is to snap your foot of the
throttle suddenly. This will typically cause your car to suddenly switch from
understeer to oversteer in such a way that the car can actually hang it's tail
out, at which point you step on it again.

The second way is in fact a tricky variation on the first. What you have to
learn is to accelerate and brake at the same time. In order to understand this
one, which is favored by rally drivers, you must look at the force vectors on
your tires in this maneuver. Your tire can handle a lateral acceleration of
only a certain amount. This lateral acceleration can be either centrifugal
force from cornering (centripetal force for the purists ), acceleration, or
braking, or any combination of the above. Thus, if you imagine yourself whaling
around a turn, all four wheels will be subjected to a certain amount of
cornering force. If you now accelerate, your front wheels will, in addition, be
subject to a second force caused by the torque of the wheels. Your rear wheels
will not have this vector of force applied to them. If you now step on your
brakes, all four wheels will suddenly have this retarding force applied to
them. However, remember that your front wheels have the other accelerative
force on them too- a force going the other way. The trick is to apply gas and
brakes in such a way that the two forces counteract and cancel each other-
leaving a greater net force on the rear wheels, which will break out sooner
than the front wheels.
This technique suddenly exposes the importance of front- rear wheel braking
power balance, which is why pro racers will try to have a variable regulating
valve for the brake system.

Tricky? Another application of this theory will explain why rear wheel drive
cars are easier tturned by stepping on the throttle- the torque on the rear
wheels will break off the adhesion.

BTW: I believe that Saab parking brakes work on the FRONT wheels, not the rear
wheels as in most cars. The gas and brake method is now quite accepted, however
it is a new method. It is believed that as late as 1967 only 7 people in the
world knew how to do it.

Bernard H. Schwab
Siemens RTL, Princeton, NJ

mhg@wjh12.UUCP (Goldstein) (06/12/85)

> >>How do you perform comparable tasks with an understeering, front-wheel
> >>drive car, such as the Saab?  What's the best technique for taking the
> >>car around various types of turns?
> >
> >As a general rule, with the caveat that all rules have exceptions, with a
> >FWD car letting up a bit on the gas when you are in trouble will get you
> >out of trouble.  I guess that is why beginning drivers find them
> >user-friendly.
>
> Hmmm.  I'm not sure about *your* fwd car, but with mine, the general rule
> is to accelerate your way out of trouble.  There have been many times when
> I've used full right foot to pull my way through a turn.  FWD cars are
> especially fun in the rain (or snow?); when going around a curve, if you
> start to slide, hit the gas and steer into the curve.  A problem with
> this:  once you begin to slide and decide to accelerate through the curve
> to stop the slide, you are committed to accelerating through the curve.
> You are using the engine's power to hold your car in it's line, and if
> it's a long curve, you can run out of power or reach the "point of
> no return" (the speed at which if you go any faster, the car will break loose
> from the curve; but you *must* accelerate to stay in the curve; so no matter
> what, you crash and get hurt).  However, on normal public roads, it's pretty
> difficult to approach these limits.  On a race track it's easy to, and this
> is a major reason why there are no fwd race cars even though they are
> theoretically faster through a turn.
>
> Dan Masi

I'm glad I don't drive near any of you:

first:  Saab hand brakes operate on the FRONT wheels. An attempt
to use the handbrake method will get you in BIG trouble, especially if
you manage to lock the wheels.  If your in a turn and its slippery,
goodbye.

Second:  accelarating is definately the WRONG thing to do if your
sliding wide in a turn - you have lost traction up front. accelerating
will make the tires totally loose their grip and you will continue
to slide in your current direction (probaly off the road). GET OFF
the gas and let the tires regain traction.

- I should know - I've spun a few saabs in the snow!