[net.auto] How to turn a FWD car

klein@ucbcad.UUCP (Mike Klein) (06/06/85)

According to "Bob Bondurant on High Performance Driving," if you are
in trouble, NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER touch the brakes.  This is
especially true for front-wheel drive cars, since they are lighter in
the rear already; braking will transfer weight to the front and the
rear will slide out even faster than a rear-wheel drive car.  His
recommendation is much like rear-wheel drive cars, where you let up
on the gas just to the extent where you are balancing the loads as
well as you can on all four tires, then do whatever you can to steer
out of it.  It will depend on the specific car more than anything else.
The only way to know for sure is to go put your car through some
rough driving at a race track so you know how it handles!
--

		-Mike Klein
		...!ucbvax!ucbmerlin:klein	(UUCP)

geoff@denelvx.UUCP (Geoff Baum) (06/10/85)

> According to "Bob Bondurant on High Performance Driving," if you are
> in trouble, NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER touch the brakes.

What are we talking about here?  What does "if you are in trouble" mean?
Of course, if you are skidding down the road you should NOT touch the
brakes.  However, for other types of trouble (such as coming up fast on
someone from behind) the brakes make a lot of sense.  There seems to be
a lot of confusion here--using the brakes to break the rear end loose and
thus slide around a corner, has nothing to do with being in trouble.  There
are many driving techniques appropriate to different situations, and people's
desires.  I love to slam on my brakes and go into uncontrollable skids at
about 5 mph when there is nothing to hit.  Clearly, I would apply different
driving techniques if I encountered black ice on a mountain road.  It all
depends on what you are trying to accomplish.

I'm sure Bob Bondurant would agree that if you are going to say
"NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER", you had better be very specific or your
rule will not apply.  I wonder how he would feel about being quoted out of
context.

neal@weitek.UUCP (Neal Bedard) (06/13/85)

In article <55@denelvx.UUCP>, geoff@denelvx.UUCP (Geoff Baum) writes:
> > According to "Bob Bondurant on High Performance Driving," if you are
> > in trouble, NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER touch the brakes.
>
> What are we talking about here?  What does "if you are in trouble" mean?
>
> 			[lots o' omitted text]
>
> ...rule will not apply.  I wonder how he would feel about being quoted out of
> context.

The subject of the article was `How to to turn a FWD car'. Being `in trouble'
means AT THE LIMIT OF ADHESION. I don't think anyone misunderstood these two
salient details in the original article (Geoff excepted.) The context was
clear enough for me, anyway.

-Neal B.
--
"mynd you, m00se bytes kann be pretti nasti"
UUCP: {ucbvax!dual!turtlevax,ihnp4!resonex,decwrl!amdcad!cae780}!weitek!neal}