[comp.archives] [soc.culture.europe] Re: Europeon Countries with live Finger/Talk Command

hellmond@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Peter H. Hellmonds) (05/11/91)

Archive-name: internet/talk/icb-client/1991-05-09
Archive: athos.rutgers.edu:/pub/icb-client.tar.Z [128.6.4.4]
Reposted-by: emv@msen.com (Edward Vielmetti, MSEN)

In article <MMISKOWI.91May7142531@dante.nmsu.edu> mmiskowi@nmsu.edu (Michael Miskowicz) writes:
>Greetings Fellow Netters,
>
>I am looking for hostnames for Europeon countries which I can use the
>finger/talk command from my university.  I would like to make friends
>in these new countries, and I feel this can be achieved with the
>finger and talk commands.

Better to use the new International CB (ICB), available via public ftp
from athos.rutgers.edu in /pub/icb-client.tar.Z.

At the prompt, type ftp athos.rutgers.edu, log on as anonymous and give
your username@host as password. change to bin, go to directory pub and
type get icb-client.tar.Z (it is over 300KB large).

After uncompressing and tar xvf icb-client.tar.Z, you'll have a 600KB
large file. Then run sh setup, and the program will install a couple of
directories. After this is done, type make and the program icb will be
generated in the directory /username/icb/icb/. copy this file to your
root directory, possibly having to rename it (suggestion: fn).

Upon running of the program you will be connected to a server at rutgers
university to which at least germany and italy have already had access.

If this news spreads over europe, we possibly could get a large
international chatgroup going with the possibility of people from
different countries talking to each other all contemporaneously.

There is already a server in Germany, e-mail
mnfriedrich@informatik.uni-erlangen.de for further information.

>Please post any responses since my e-mail account shall be leaving in
>a matter of days.  School's kinda out. :-)

>Michael

Hope this message makes its rounds in Europe.

Peter

Peter H. Hellmonds ----- Tel: (609) 683-4893 ----- Fax: (609) 258-2809
Princeton University - Woodrow Wilson School of Public & Intl. Affairs
---  European in Exile (tm) --- /--------\ --- Languages answered: ---
hellmond@phoenix.princeton.edu /----------\   German    English
hellmond@pucc.princeton.edu   /------------\        French    Italian
          If you think education is expensive, try ignorance.
            -- Derek Bok, president of Harvard University

-- comp.archives file verification
athos.rutgers.edu
-rw-r--r--  1 0        199        251661 May  9 21:34 /pub/icb-client.tar.Z
found icb-client ok
athos.rutgers.edu:/pub/icb-client.tar.Z