[net.auto] Electric Auto

fbp@cybvax0.UUCP (Rick Peralta) (05/29/85)

	I am intrested in information and research
	referances to electric automobiles.

	Are there any being manufactured commercially ?
	If so where and how may I contact them ?
	What problems are there in current technology ?
	( yes I know the batteries weigh too much )
	Are there ultra light vehicles available ?
	Problems with them ?

Please respond directly to me.  Technical data eagerly welcomed.

Rick

...!cybvax0!fbp

"A likely story.  I don't believe a word of it."

bhs@siemens.UUCP (06/03/85)

Clive Sinclair, the man who brought you the pocket calculator, the ZX81, etc.
is now selling a small electric tricycle/ scooter. It is being built by Hoover
in England, and sell there for ca. 400 Pounds. It is designed to go for 20
miles, at a speed of (I think) 15 mph. It is equipped with pedals to assist you
when attempting to ascend a steep incline, or perhaps in case you run out of
juice.
Mr. Sinclair hailed it as the next revolution in personal transportation, but
unfortunatly, not too many Englishmen seem to be convinced, and he has recently
had to drastically reduce his production volume.

Bernard H. Schwab
Siemens RTL, Princeton, NJ

seifert@hammer.UUCP (Snoopy) (06/04/85)

In article <25300039@siemens.UUCP> bhs@siemens.UUCP writes:

>Clive Sinclair, the man who brought you the pocket calculator, the ZX81, etc.
>is now selling a small electric tricycle/ scooter. It is being built by Hoover
>in England, and sell there for ca. 400 Pounds. It is designed to go for 20
>miles, at a speed of (I think) 15 mph. It is equipped with pedals to assist you
>when attempting to ascend a steep incline, or perhaps in case you run out of
>juice.
>Mr. Sinclair hailed it as the next revolution in personal transportation, but
>unfortunatly, not too many Englishmen seem to be convinced, and he has recently
>had to drastically reduce his production volume.
>
>Bernard H. Schwab
>Siemens RTL, Princeton, NJ

yes, but does it use the MC68020?

*grin*

Snoopy
tektronix!mako!seifert

nxn@ihuxm.UUCP (Dave Nixon) (06/04/85)

> Clive Sinclair, the man who brought you the pocket calculator, the ZX81, etc.
> is now selling a small electric tricycle/ scooter.
> [ ......... ]
> Mr. Sinclair hailed it as the next revolution in personal transportation, but
> unfortunatly, not too many Englishmen seem to be convinced, and he has
> recently had to drastically reduce his production volume.
>
> Bernard H. Schwab

There was an amusing cartoon in Punch recently on this very subject.

First executive: I hear Sinclair is losing a lot of his top people.
Second executive: Yes, it seems they don't like their new company cars.

Dave Nixon	AT&T, Naperville, IL	..!ihnp4!ihuxm!nxn

review@drutx.UUCP (MillhamBD) (06/14/85)

Sinclar's electric auto's poor sales my be due to the fact that this
topless vehicle was introduced in the middle of the winter!

Brian Millham
AT & T Information Systems
Denver, Co.

...!inhp4!drutx!review

jcjeff@ihlpg.UUCP (Richard Jeffreys) (06/15/85)

> Sinclar's electric auto's poor sales my be due to the fact that this
> topless vehicle was introduced in the middle of the winter!
> Brian Millham

I have heard a rumor that Sir Clive is looking for a partner to provide a
large infulx of cash to stop his company from going under. It seems that
because of these three wheelers not selling very well, and the high cost of
development, he is making a loss.

Can anyone shed any more light on this ?

Come to think of it, who wants to own an electric trike powered by a washing
machine motor anyway :-)

--
 [ Why pander life's complexities,
            when the leather runs smooth on the passenger seat - The Smiths ]