[comp.archives] [perl] Re: Non-interactive ftp

cristy@eplrx7.uucp (John Cristy) (05/17/91)

Archive-name: ftp/client/xtp/1991-05-15
Archive: export.lcs.mit.edu:/contrib/ImageMagick.tar.Z [18.30.0.238]
Reposted-by: emv@msen.com (Edward Vielmetti, MSEN)

In article <1991May15.005136.20447@eng.umd.edu> ziegast@eng.umd.edu (Eric W. Ziegast) writes:

>Do you suppose someone could create a program to sign on as ftp and
>recursively go through some specified directory and transfer the
>whole thing in one non-interactive command?

Fetch contrib/ImageMagick.tar.Z on export.lcs.mit.edu.  You will find
XTP in the ImageMagick/xtp directory.

DESCRIPTION
     Xtp is a utility for retrieving, listing, or printing files
     from a remote network site, or sending files to a remote
     network site.  Xtp performs most of the same functions as
     the ftp program, but does not require any interactive
     commands.  You simply specify the file transfer task on the
     command line and xtp performs the task automatically.

EXAMPLES
     To retrieve file display.tar.Z from host wizard.dupont.com,
     use:

          xtp -binary -retrieve display.tar.Z wizard.dupont.com

     To retrieve all the files from directory public/documents
     from host wizard.dupont.com, use:

          xtp -binary -retrieve documents/ wizard.dupont.com public

cristy@dupont.com
--
The UUCP Mailer

-- comp.archives file verification
export.lcs.mit.edu
-rw-rw-rw-  1 ftp      30        2768599 May 13 14:26 /contrib/ImageMagick.tar.Z
found xtp ok
export.lcs.mit.edu:/contrib/ImageMagick.tar.Z

Archive-name: languages/perl/comp-lang-perl/1991-05-17
Archive-directory: betwixt.cs.caltech.edu:/pub/comp.lang.perl/ [131.215.128.4]
Reposted-by: emv@msen.com (Edward Vielmetti, MSEN)

From the keyboard of russell@ccu1.aukuni.ac.nz (Russell J Fulton;ccc032u):
:BTW Does anybody archive *all* the code that is posted to this group?

Barring news glitches, I have every article posted except for a few
in the beginning.  So does Larry, I believe.  But they aren't in
any decent retrieval system (I use MH, but it's far too slow for
complex retrievals.)  From the FAQ:

5)  Are archives of comp.lang.perl available?

    Yes, although they're poorly organized.  You can get them from
    the host betwixt.cs.caltech.edu (131.215.128.4) in the directory
    /pub/comp.lang.perl.  Perhaps by next month you'll be able to
    get them from uunet as well.  It contains these things:

    comp.lang.perl.tar.Z  -- the 5M tarchive in MH/news format
    archives/             -- the unpacked 5M tarchive
    unviewed/             -- new comp.lang.perl messages since 4-Feb or 5-Feb.

    These are currently stored in news- or MH-style format; there are
    subdirectories named things like "arrays", "programs", "taint", and
    "emacs".  Unfortunately, only the first ~1600 or so messages have been
    so categorized, and we're now up to almost 5000.  Furthermore, even
    this categorization was haphazardly done and contains errors.

    A more sophisticated query and retrieval mechanism is desirable.
    Preferably one that allows you to retrieve article using a fast-access
    indices, keyed on at least author, date, subject, thread (as in "trn")
    and probably keywords.  Right now, the MH pick command works for this,
    but it is very slow to select on 5000 articles.

    If you're serious about this, your best bet is probably to retrieve
    the compressed tarchive and play with what you get.  Any suggestions
    how to better sort this all out are extremely welcome.

--tom
--
Tom Christiansen		tchrist@convex.com	convex!tchrist
		"So much mail, so little time."

-- comp.archives file verification
betwixt.cs.caltech.edu
total 1904
drwxr-xr-x  22 beau     ug          1024 Mar 29 20:52 archives
-rw-r--r--   1 beau     ug        750297 Mar 20 15:44 perl4.0.tar.Z
drwxr-xr-x  69 beau     ug          2048 Mar  4 22:18 bysubject
-rw-r--r--   1 beau     ug        126935 Feb 14 17:06 book_ex.tar.Z
-rw-r--r--   1 beau     ug         68675 Feb  8 18:48 refguide.tar.Z
drwxr-xr-x   2 beau     ug          1024 Feb  8 18:47 refguide
found comp-lang-perl ok
betwixt.cs.caltech.edu:/pub/comp.lang.perl/