[net.auto] A reminder of Human Mortality...

clewis@mnetor.UUCP (Chris Lewis) (06/03/85)

I wouldn't normally post something like this, but it seems a useful
reminder of how careful you gotta be while working on your car:

Last night a friend of my mother's lost her husband while he was
working on his car.  Somehow a fan blade came off and slashed him
across the throat severing the jugular vein and carotid arteries.
This sort of injury is usually fatal unless drastic action is taken
within seconds.  He died very quickly.

I know very few details of exactly what happened.  I assume that
the engine was being revved up and a tool fell into the fan causing
a blade to shear.

Let this be a reminder to all you do-it-yourself mechanics out there
(including me!) to be really careful while working on cars.  I've
had my own warning earlier when a car I was working on fell off its
jack.  Also, eye injuries are quite easy to come by even if you
do wear goggles.

Take every precaution you can - even if it seems silly.  It's a small
price to pay to avoid something that will effect the rest of your
(possibly dramatically shortened) life.
--
Chris Lewis,
UUCP: {allegra, linus, ihnp4}!utzoo!mnetor!clewis

dbp@dataio.UUCP (Dave Pellerin) (06/06/85)

(Finally, a new topic!)

>I wouldn't normally post something like this, but it seems a useful
>reminder of how careful you gotta be while working on your car:
> ... etc.
>
>Chris Lewis

This reminded me of another 'freak' accident to live and learn by.
Someone I knew (who new someone who was related to...) told me of
a guy who was killed when he attempted to remove a bent front bumper.

It seems that when the bolts on one side were removed, the bumper
sprung out with tremendous force, smacking the poor guy in the head.

				- Dave Pellerin (Mr. BadWrench)

dhk@hp-pcd.UUCP (dhk) (06/11/85)

Re: Fan blade coming off

Was the car a Ford?  In the mid-70s when I worked at a service station there
were warnings out that certain Fords had problems with fan blades shearing.
I am sorry that I cannot remember which models or if there was a recall, etc.

Dustin Kassman
!hplabs!hp-pcd!dhk

clewis@mnetor.UUCP (Chris Lewis) (06/13/85)

In article <2400060@hp-pcd.UUCP> dhk@hp-pcd.UUCP (Dustin Kassman) writes:
>Re: Fan blade coming off
>
>Was the car a Ford?  In the mid-70s when I worked at a service station there
>were warnings out that certain Fords had problems with fan blades shearing.
>I am sorry that I cannot remember which models or if there was a recall, etc.

No, it was a '77 Plymouth (Chysler, probably something similar to
Volare/Aspen/Valiant/Duster/Scamp/Malibu etc) with the standard exposed
belt drive fan instead of the enhanced cooling (shrouded clutched fan)
option.

The '78 Volare shop manual does warn:

	"Do not stand in line with the fan"

The '75 Valiant shop manual doesn't.  Both books tell you not to fiddle
with the fan though:

	REPLACE, do NOT repair!

[Though, not all do-it-yourselfers have or read the manuals anyways]

I suspect that he dropped a tool into the fan, or the fan was rusty and
was revved well beyond normal rpm's during servicing.

BTW: the incident was reported in the Peel regional newspaper - it was
handled by the OPP (Ontario Provincial Police).

This should not be construed as a complaint against Chrysler (or Ford).
All cars, particularly those with non-shrouded and belt or direct drive
fans have this danger under certain circumstances.  Especially, over-revving
during engine repair or analysis.  Even electric drive/shrouded fans
have their dangers (they can start even if the engine is off!)
There are dangers to all cars - do-it-yourselfers should be aware of them.

I have a '75 Valiant and I like it (though the poor thing is getting
rather elderly and I just spent $400 on replacing almost all the brake
parts and bearings) and my Father's '78 Volare is still running pretty
good (both cars have been far more reliable and smooth engine running
than our other newer, '80 and '83 cars - I LOVE "slant sixes"!).  The
incident just reinforced our attitude about caution w.r.t. the fan
while working in the engine compartment.
--
Chris Lewis,
UUCP: {allegra, linus, ihnp4}!utzoo!mnetor!clewis
BELL: (416)-475-8980 ext. 321

josie@phoenix.UUCP (Jack Gross) (06/14/85)

 	There was a recall of millions of Ford cars built in the
70's for defective fan blades. They are  prone to snap off and injure
if the hood is opened and someone is standing nearby. To get info
on this call the National Highway Safety Administration. They have a
800 number that will give you more info this matter.

			Jack Gross

sci@ccnysci.UUCP (Chemistry 446) (06/21/85)

In article <hp-pcd.2400060> dhk@hp-pcd.UUCP writes:
>Re: Fan blade coming off
>Was the car a Ford?  In the mid-70s when I worked at a service station there
>were warnings out that certain Fords had problems with fan blades shearing.
>I am sorry that I cannot remember which models or if there was a recall, etc.

	There were a few models that were recalled for that problem.
 75 Chevy Camaro
 76 & 77 Ford Granada with 7 blade fans
 76 & 77 Ford LTD
 77 Thunderbird
  ---- (and others(?)) ----

This info was taken from Consumer Reports Used Cars Rating Guide